The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apology guys I have been a thread spaz lately; however, I need to hammer out some details and in need of good guidance/suggestion. I received my 25 gallon rimless cube today, ordered my eheim 2217, and 2 x bags of eco complete fine grade (hope this stuff will suffice). My stand will be here by the end of the week...it is being made as we speak. I wanted it in white...I guess black will have to do.

Which brings me to the real question...lighting on an 18 x 18 x18

Narrowed it down to 3 choices/combinations (I am going to go for it and take the plunge into pressurized CO2 cause I can afford it at this time and damnit I have always wanted to do it)

1) Kessil a150 Amazon Sun at least ~$ 250 I know the spread will be great I have had them on nano reefs and the shimmer is sexy...but I ask my self is it practical with cheaper options with similar output on the market.

2) 18 inch Ray 2 DS x1 PAR looks like 37 at 18 inches hmmm will a single light be enough spread it says 28 Par at 9inches from center? ~ 70 dollars

3) 20 inch FRP+ x2 Now I know the spread will be there and it seems like the better option for plants...it comes with cons. The Primo CO2 setup from GTA I was thinking about getting has only one outlet on the timer for lighting (other is for the solenoid)...and most importantly with the 20inch fixtures look right over an 18inch tank.

Well maybe I am overthinking things, but I have some obsessive traits. most definitely. Please help me make an informed decision.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
You might try these people for the lights. Just to compare them. The PAR on the one that I gave a link to I believe is higher than you quoted for that other one.
They also have the Dutch style which has more red in it and if you were getting two you could get one of each. They also have a 10,000K rig that obviously is higher in PAR.
The 18" ones run $134.00 and I don't know what your other choices are.
http://www.buildmyled.com/iwagumi-7000k/
The site says you get 80 PAR with this particular one at 18" which by it's self is enough
without buying two. On the Dutch one it says 85 PAR at 18"
You should know that their actual sizes for the light strips is 12" and two of them for the 24" light but one of them for the 18" light.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
A single Ray 2's spread will not cover 18" if mounted directly on the tank.

I personally think that a pendant looks / works better on cubes. I wish I could do it on mine, but my ceilings are 12'-14'.

If $$ are important, Zoo Med double deep domes (check Amazon) work well with cheap screw-in CFL bulbs and don't look terrible. 2 of them + 4 bulbs will cost ~$60. If you cannot hang them off support / ceiling. Check out Zoo Med light stands (~$25 ea Large size)). Besides the cost, other benefits are ability to play with different wattage bulbs and height adjustment.

v3

1 - 5 of 5 Posts