The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a Twinstar 1200SA LED light. It is working well for plant growth but has one aesthetic issue.

When light spills onto the wall behind the tank it has a "rainbow" effect. This is not refraction but from the row of red LEDs that run the length of the 48" fixture. I do not really like the look of a black background which I could easily add so I am looking for some creative suggestions. Currently I have a long "curtain" of Val running along the lenght of the back tank wall but I am losing interest in the Val as it is getting weedy and invasive.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
16g rimless cherry shrimp, 20g cube dwarf cichlid, 40g breeder nano community.
611 Posts
I've been wanting a faux rock background, but my tanks are too small to justify the cost and I'm too lazy to make one for myself. As I said my tanks are on the smaller side so I can use a sheet of plastic from a craft store and tape it on. I have 2 tanks I use a frosted white on. I saw a tank online this morning that used a 'curtain' of java fern I thought was cool. I once took a photo I had and had it printed large enough to tape in back.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Chihiros makes a shade that goes onto their light and stops this kind of thing. You could buy one of those and see if you can adapt it for the twinstar. Alternatively, I use static cling window film for the back of some of my tanks. It comes in a variety of colors and transparency levels (from opaque to clearish). Easy to put on and always easily removable if you decide you don't like it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I use heavy black construction paper and just fold it in half lengthwise. It is stiff enough it makes kind of a I use the same paper for the aquarium background. Works pretty good and is cheap.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a black background on my 4820 and it looks good to me, have the pendant Twinstar light with no issues. Setting up a 16 gallons tank and will use frost background, didn't want to have both tanks with the same background.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a black background on my 4820 and it looks good to me, have the pendant Twinstar light with no issues. Setting up a 16 gallons tank and will use frost background, didn't want to have both tanks with the same background.

Good luck!!
Thanks. A while back I did try draping a black cloth across the back of the tank just to see if I liked it but decided that I prefer either a clear back or else something lighter.

I may experiment with the cling film mentioned above or even a decoration on the rear wall like bamboo mat.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have a piece of blue foam board (poster board) cut to fit the back glass of my tank and held on with clear tape. I like blue better than the black, but there are many color options at the dollar store to pick from.

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
An oddity of back glass treatments.
Thing is paint it anything that removes the air gap ( cling film ) does the same thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts