The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new pl-s lamp for my nano armature.

The original Dennerle 11 watt tropical day lamp is very expensive but i found a much cheaper Philips branded pl-s light.

The dennerle is 6000k
The Philips is 4000k

I know kelvin does not have say much about the ability to grow plants so i've searched for the spectrum graphs for both lights.

Dennerle:
http://www.zooprofi.de/images/product_images/original_images/9140_1.jpg
Philips:
http://download.p4c.philips.com/l4b/9/927936484011_eu/927936484011_eu_pss_nldnl.pdf

They look almost the same to me, can someone take a look and tell me if the cheaper one is just as good? (that what i hope for obviously:hihi:)

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
Well the color temp will depend more on the look of the tank to you..
The 4000k is "generally" warmer looking while the 6000k is slightly bluer looking..
This is a bit more pronounced w/ LED's than tubes though..
Since most "tubes" are just a mix of RGB phosphors they only differ slightly in useable spectrum for plants. (Ignoring "specialty" bulbs of course..).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the color temp will depend more on the look of the tank to you..
The 4000k is "generally" warmer looking while the 6000k is slightly bluer looking..
This is a bit more pronounced w/ LED's than tubes though..
Since most "tubes" are just a mix of RGB phosphors they only differ slightly in useable spectrum for plants. (Ignoring "specialty" bulbs of course..).
From this i read that it does not really make a difference, am i right?

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
From this i read that it does not really make a difference, am i right?
Yes from the plants perspective it may not make much of a difference.
Gross photons is all that matters for the most part. Specific wavelengths make subtle differences but plants adapt their physiology..
Some photon "colors" are collected more efficiently (red being one of them, green being much less efficient. There are secondary effects but I'm ignoring them for now) but in broad spectrum bulbs this isn't critical.

From your perspective it may..the color rendering may or may not be to your liking.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes from the plants perspective it may not make much of a difference.
Gross photons is all that matters for the most part. Specific wavelengths make subtle differences but plants adapt their physiology..
Some photon "colors" are collected more efficiently (red being one of them, green being much less efficient. There are secondary effects but I'm ignoring them for now) but in broad spectrum bulbs this isn't critical.

From your perspective it may..the color rendering may or may not be to your liking.

Thank you for the clear answer. I dont mind if the bulb looks a little bit warmer, i even prefer it so i'm going for the cheaper one ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts