The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got my tank and I'm shopping for a light. It's a 60 gal hex and is 28" deep. I know I'll have to go swimming to plant it but I think I have that figured out.:hihi: Anyway I want low/med-low lighting but somehow I don't think the 2-2.5 wpg is going to work. So what do you gurus think. how many watts am I going to need to light this baby?:help:

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Rex...I really think this one might be considered a deep tank. ;) So don't have to go break out the stupid stick on this one when I say it's deep.

What plants are you trying to grow is the big question.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
That's pretty close. And for hex tanks the best solution is almost always a MH pendant since you don't really have a lot of surface area to work with.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to put a sword plant, some pennywort, moss, wisteria, crypts, some giant hairgrass or cyprus helferi, not sure what else though.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If I had a tank like that I would take it as an opportunity to use a MH pendant light, and find out for myself how nice they are. I would keep it low enough to eliminate any excessive light spillage, and feel pretty certain that I had enough light to grow anything, even low ground cover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts