The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advanced! I can't seem to grasp this for some reason. Anyone recommend any lighting options for high light 20g long set up?

-Paul

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi for low med light I use 2 18w cfl bulbs in ikea floor lamps... Great results, no algae and very decent growth. I have the lamps about 18 inches above the substrate gives great looking light.. If you want I can show you pictures and I think I started a journal just search for my topics, I can post some pics on Tuesday since I'm out of town at the moment.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi for low med light I use 2 18w cfl bulbs in ikea floor lamps... Great results, no algae and very decent growth. I have the lamps about 18 inches above the substrate gives great looking light.. If you want I can show you pictures and I think I started a journal just search for my topics, I can post some pics on Tuesday since I'm out of town at the moment.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk 2
I currently have 2x23watt cfl (6500k) pendants hanging 8" over the tank, do you think that would suffice, rroginela? I spray painted the pendants with reflective paint on the inside hoping that would help. Anyway, I'd like to grow a nice carpet of glosso and have considered getting the Finnex Ray II because I'm not sure the two cfls will do it.

-Paul

·
Registered
315 Posts
I doubt it would be enough for a carpet... My lights are 18w and hang about 6 inches above and just white reflectors... It does really well for my crypt, and various stem plants but the shorter plants don't do as well so a led finnex fixture would probably do well...

I'm going to try some led options when i set up my 40G breeder too see if I can have a carpet then.. I am currently trying some crypt nana which is a really small crypt in the 20 but its way too early to tell if it will live or not. I would say the screw in cfls are probably good low-to-med light and most carpet plants are generally a mid-to-high plant in my often wrong opinion. I guess it would be better to hear from someone with direct experience.

Have you tried some of the led screw in bulbs out there? they do up the light output quite a bit... I think the Finnex would be less experimentation type of option though... good luck and let us know how whatever you try works out...

Rafal

I currently have 2x23watt cfl (6500k) pendants hanging 8" over the tank, do you think that would suffice, rroginela? I spray painted the pendants with reflective paint on the inside hoping that would help. Anyway, I'd like to grow a nice carpet of glosso and have considered getting the Finnex Ray II because I'm not sure the two cfls will do it.

-Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts