The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Looks OK, except hard to tell if the reflector would be good. Also not sure about the Jebo/Odyssea brand, I had a filter that started leaking. Pretty sure I won't buy that brand again...

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 45g discus tank setup and cycled. Currently my lighting is a measly dual t5 unit, something like 45 watts. I am considering the following:
Changing out one of the t5 bulbs for a Actinic for color enhancement of discus. I would add a single 96 watt 10k unit to the tank.
OR
I could pitch the t5 unit and Get a 192 watt unit and forget the actinic
OR
I could pitch the t5 unit and Get a 192 watt unit with one actinic bulb.
I know actinic does nothing for plants, and I will be planting this, probably not really exotic stuff but I dont want to be limited to anacharis LOL.
Thoughts appreciated..............
chaz

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Any carpet plants? 96w over a 45g tank would be 2WPG, enough for many varieties of plants. Carpet plants would spread slowly though.

With a 192w unit with two daylight bulbs, you're gonna need CO2, ferts, etc...

If you do option 3: 192w unit w/ one actinic bulb, it'll cost more than option 1: replacing one of your T5 bulbs with an actinic and buying a 1x96w setup.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I keep the T5 and put one actinc in, and add the 96 watt I have something like 120 watts plus the actinic light (for color). I plan on installing pressurized co2 as it just works!

Will that work relatively well? Of course, there is the conveneince of a single light strip.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Looks ok. Reflector might not give a good % of downward light and might give a little restrike but it looks like it will work

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
epic,
im always broke, but who cares LOL

im leaning towards your suggestion actually........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts