The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Can someone help me fix this, I cannot remove the stones to bleach them, I have also tried scrubbing it off with nylon and a metel brush, no luck, any solution how I can stop this any specific reason why this is happening.
Plant Purple Natural landscape Bedrock Wood

Plant Plant community Purple Botany Leaf

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
That's different looking. It looks like it's the color of BGA. It also appears that it's mostly growing on the white veins, it might just show up better there but it doesn't look like it. Beautiful tank BTW.

If no one else speaks up with a positive ID you might want to try squirting a little H2O2 on it and see how it reacts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's different looking. It looks like it's the color of BGA. It also appears that it's mostly growing on the white veins, it might just show up better there but it doesn't look like it. Beautiful tank BTW.
Thanks.

If no one else speaks up with a positive ID you might want to try squirting a little H2O2 on it and see how it reacts.
I tried, it's not helping

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm going to throw out an idea here and say it might not be algae.

As mentioned above, it's only growing out of the white veins. It may be a chemical process that is occurring as a result of whatever elements in your rocks leeching out of the white regions. Example being something like copper oxidizing and turning green. Based on the rest of how your tank looks, you seem to have algae control mastered, so I'd lean towards it being something inorganic

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to throw out an idea here and say it might not be algae.

As mentioned above, it's only growing out of the white veins. It may be a chemical process that is occurring as a result of whatever elements in your rocks leeching out of the white regions. Example being something like copper oxidizing and turning green. Based on the rest of how your tank looks, you seem to have algae control mastered, so I'd lean towards it being something inorganic
Sounds logical.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I looked at very some rock very similar to "seiryu" stone at local landscape emporium and the guy there told me the white vieins are actually marble. Marble will definitely react with water so I'd 2nd the chemical reaction theory.

Maybe some type of algae specie that feeds specifically on the calcite

1 - 6 of 6 Posts