The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m after a new light, I have been researching but can’t find anything in particular that looks like it’ll suit perfect.

I’ll need high light, with full automation, through an app or something alike.

It’ll be on a Dennerle 60L cube so I think dimensions are 38cm x 38cm and 43cm deep, ideally something suited to a cube shape tank

Currently use Fluval Nano planted but feel like it’s lightly underpowered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
520 Posts
What are you looking to do plantwise with a new light that your Fluval didn't do?

I ran with the Lominie that @jeffkrol suggested in your other thread for awhile and while it did a great job growing plants, in hind sight color was lacking. That and no app control.

If you didn't like those AI Prime's suggested (possibly the best for this situation unless you want puck then those newer Kessil 360x Tuna Suns should do the trick. The new red channel they have helps a lot), maybe look into 2 ONF Flat Nano+'s. The L-shaped design should lend itself to some good coverage on a cube tank.

Below is the ONF flat Nano+ on my 40liter cube. With just one I would classify it as medium light. Reds didn't really pop until they reached the top third of the water column. With 2 however, it might do the trick. Color redention was to my untrained and uneducated eye absolutely amazing. Of course I came from that Lominie Asta 120, lol!

App is pretty basic but takes care of automation/ramp. I think it's 5 time settings that you are limited to and if you want to change any time slot except the last one you need to delete and start over. Not the end of the world and I did it several times but it would have been nice to be able to adjust mid-slots and auto adjust everything after that. I don't have it setup at the moment so I can't check if you can control colors. I never did and don't remember settings for that but as I said there wasn't any issues with color on this light.

These smaller tanks are tough to find equipment for, lol!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Gotta give a solid second to the ONF Flat Nano. I almost pulled the trigger on a cube tank recently, and that was my top choice.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
App is pretty basic but takes care of automation/ramp. I think it's 5 time settings that you are limited to and if you want to change any time slot except the last one you need to delete and start over. Not the end of the world and I did it several times but it would have been nice to be able to adjust mid-slots and auto adjust everything after that. I don't have it setup at the moment so I can't check if you can control colors. I never did and don't remember settings for that but as I said there wasn't any issues with color on this light.

These smaller tanks are tough to find equipment for, lol!
I have two ONF Flat lights. The Nano+ is fixed at 7000k, so you can only adjust intensity. The larger ONF Flat lights you can do both intensity and temp.

What's nice I can control both ONF lights from the same app. It is strange as you mentioned that you need to delete all settings to redo one time setting. I guess it's still a work in progress. I bought the Nano one with the stand since I wasn't sure what I was going to use it on. The stand makes it very versatile as you can use it with a bowl or a terrestrial plant without actually attaching it. My only gripe with the light and stand is the stand scratches easily and the light doesn't sit perfectly level.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have two ONF Flat lights. The Nano+ is fixed at 7000k, so you can only adjust intensity. The larger ONF Flat lights you can do both intensity and temp.

What's nice I can control both ONF lights from the same app. It is strange as you mentioned that you need to delete all settings to redo one time setting. I guess it's still a work in progress. I bought the Nano one with the stand since I wasn't sure what I was going to use it on. The stand makes it very versatile as you can use it with a bowl or a terrestrial plant without actually attaching it. My only gripe with the light and stand is the stand scratches easily and the light doesn't sit perfectly level.
Is that the Square?

That looks pretty cool!

The Flat One would definitely have the power, and more, to run a 60L tank.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Is that the Square
It's about 9" x 7" Right now it's over this small succulent setup, but I might do a large bowl with it soon.

Funny thing I moved this pitcher plant (Nepenthes) under it for a few weeks (had been in my window sill) and that pitcher to left is very red as well as the new leaf on top. The window sill received some afternoon sun, I have the light on for like 18 hrs ramping up to 90%.

·
Registered
520 Posts
It's about 9" x 7" Right now it's over this small succulent setup, but I might do a large bowl with it soon.
Oh man! Completely skipped over the fact you said the stand was for your Nano. I thought you were talking about the Flat, which has the Square hanging kit (don't remember that back when I was looking at ONF lights). It would be a stretch to have the Flat over a 38cm tank but would definitely have enough power, lol.

Nice setups!

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Oh man! Completely skipped over the fact you said the stand was for your Nano. I thought you were talking about the Flat, which has the Square hanging kit (don't remember that back when I was looking at ONF lights). It would be a stretch to have the Flat over a 38cm tank but would definitely have enough power, lol.

Nice setups!
Thanks, lol I didn't even pick up on that. I have the 24" Flat on a 60L and only run it around 40% for high light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts