The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to setup a 40cm x 30cm x 30cm tank (36L - 9.5g).
The plan is to avoid CO2 altogether and dose excel daily if possible.

I live in Canada so my options are limited, but I was thinking about using 2 Fluval 13W clip-on lights (see here: http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Mini-Power-Compact-Lamp/dp/B004QSV8XK)

The total wattage would be 26W. Is this too much for a low-tech excel tank?

I can't seem to find any good lighting options when it comes to a tank my size. Any other suggestions would definitely be appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would love to go with a FugeRay of even a Ray II, but I can't find anywhere to buy them in Canada. I contacted the Finnex store, AquaVibrant, for shipping to Ontario Canada but received no response.

ddrfreak, unfortunately there is no space on the stand to put a desk lamp. The stand is just the right size for the aquarium.

·
Registered
945 Posts
How close are you to a US border? I shipped mine to the US and picked it up because I thought the shipping price was a little crazy.

Or check if amazon.com will ship them to Canada.

They are great lights at the price- just not so great a deal with shipping rates like that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm 2 hours away from Niagara Falls so shipping to the US then picking them up is definitely an option.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'm using two 10w cfls on a 10g tank, and every aquarium is different, but the 13s started an algae war (could also be connected with Seachem Flourish Comp overdoses) and the two 10s seem to be just on the line with the algae.

Another member says he is using 2 13s on a 10g with Walstad-style substrate with no algae.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I would love to go with a FugeRay of even a Ray II, but I can't find anywhere to buy them in Canada. I contacted the Finnex store, AquaVibrant, for shipping to Ontario Canada but received no response.

ddrfreak, unfortunately there is no space on the stand to put a desk lamp. The stand is just the right size for the aquarium.
I live in Quebec. I did contact AquaVibrant too to know about shipping to Canada, never received any answer. Unfortunately for me pickup in U.S. is not an option. I would like the Ray II for my 20 gallons planted tank.

I may have to buy the TMC Grobeam 500 instead because I can order it from a canadian company at least.

Michel.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm using two 10w cfls on a 10g tank, and every aquarium is different, but the 13s started an algae war (could also be connected with Seachem Flourish Comp overdoses) and the two 10s seem to be just on the line with the algae.

Another member says he is using 2 13s on a 10g with Walstad-style substrate with no algae.
I have 2 10G's with CFL's as well. The 2 6500K 13W bulbs caused algae problems as well. It needed CO2 to stop the algae issues. I have been running 2 5000K 9W bulbs in my RCS tank with great results growing Java fern, Xmas moss and crypt beketti.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have 2 10G's with CFL's as well. The 2 6500K 13W bulbs caused algae problems as well. It needed CO2 to stop the algae issues. I have been running 2 5000K 9W bulbs in my RCS tank with great results growing Java fern, Xmas moss and crypt beketti.
Any chance you could post a picture of your setup?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts