The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm setting up a standard 5.5 g but not sure on what lights to use. The ott-lite planth growth looks fine. Do I need 1 or 2?
Just took the rim out so no fixture. I'm planning on growing HC and adding CO2.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
The 27 watt Hamelton Bay desk lamp or equivelent is also very popular for nano tanks. They can be found at home depot for $20 -$25. Other similar lights can be found in a lot of other stores. I just installed one for my 2.5. You can see the install on my link below. So far I like it.
+1. This lighting would be perfect for a 5.5 gallon to grow hc.

If you do not have access to the Hamilton desk lamp then 2 otto lights would be sufficient.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now filtration!?

Thanks !!

Already found the Hampton desk lamp (27w) for around $25.

Filtration: thinking on using a zoo med 501 that I already have. Not sure if it would be too much flow for a 5.5g

already set up the tank with 5 stones and the aquasoil. Will post pictures tonight or even start a journal.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I took out the carbon bag that came with the zoomed, then bought a media bag and filled it with new carbon. The carbon bag that came with the zoomed restricts alot flow.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I took out the carbon bag that came with the zoomed, then bought a media bag and filled it with new carbon. The carbon bag that came with the zoomed restricts alot flow.
i took the carbon bag out and filled a bag with polyfill i just use the sponge some ceramic bio media and polyfill and have had great results after about 4 months i cleaned the canister and found it very clean i think i could have gone about 8 months w/ 3 amano shrimp a lawn of dhg and dwarf sag
me too, but I used a media bag with Purigen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts