The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

It's been a while since my last post.

Right now i'm keeping a 10g tank, but i've been itching to change to a 20g. Currently I have a 28w Coralife PC 50/50 fixture, my question is, would that be enough light for a 20g or should i change it for a another, maybe a T5?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
If you do change your light, is the 20g a long or a high?

·
Registered
548 Posts
That's exactly what I'm going to ask :D. You could use normal output fixtures for the tank. If you go high tech though, it's better to have HO fixtures.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going for a regular 20g, i think is the long one, i don't like the look of the tall tanks, i prefer a more panoramic view :red_mouth

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah, sorry, i think is the tall one, the long one is like the same height of a 10g right? If that is so i'm thinking of getting a 20 tall, is slightly longer and taller than a 10g

·
Registered
548 Posts
Then you're gonna look for 24" lights.
Can you list your plans for your tank? high-light or low-light
Are you gonna have CO2 and dosing ferts?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now i'm dosing Seachem's line of ferts, Flourish, Flourish Iron and Flourish Excel. I was using DIY Co2 but i got tired of it, and i'm saving for a pressurized Co2, but in the meantime Excel would have to do.

If possible i would like to keep my current fixture, i find it extremely difficult to sell used aquarium equipment over here. The fixture is 20'', i would have to make mods to the mounting legs.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
If you want a new T5 fixture, you could get the Coralife Aqualight T5 fixture. I found it online and at LFS's for about $55. Only draw back is that it can get pretty hot! Could you sell your old light on Swap and Shop?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All right, i'll consider that fixture, thanks

But, if i don't change my fixture, would the 20'' coralife (28w) would be enough light for my plants?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
I "THINK" so. I dont no alot about PC fixtures. What plants are planning to grow?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right now i have hygrophila polysperma, cabomba, red ludwighia, cladophora and anubias nana, and planning to add several varieties of sword plants and more red and violet colored plants, and maybe some foreground or carpeting plants. I have a 2.5g that i'm planning to grow hemianthus callitrichoides, and the surplus plants i'm planning to grow them on the 20g.

I managed to find locally a T5 fixture for a 20g, with 2x14w tubes, and according to a guy in the LFS there would be practically no difference between a 28w PC and the 2x14w T5. It's the most potent T5 fixture i could find, short of going for a 30'' with more tubes.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe i'll give it a try with my current fixture. With luck, i'll get less algae and acceptable plant growth

·
Registered
221 Posts
Good morning.
I have a questions, but i posted it in a different thread. could someone please help me with the question. it's also a 20 gal regular tank with anacharis, anubias nana, and microsword. with an eclipse 2 hood. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
^ I responded to your post in the other thread, so that the OP of this one didn't feel like it was being hijacked. ;)

As for the OP's question in this thread, yes I think the fixture would be sufficient for a 20g tank, but there will be shade on the sides. If you raise the fixture up so that the light spreads, you will diminish the intensity of the lighting a bit.

I think you should just set this fixture directly on the glass top of the 20g, forget about using mounting legs, and then start saving up for a 24" fixture.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts