The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aquascapes are enchanting, and I am struck with the desire for my very first (and only!) tank. No room for trial & error.

Researching now, trying to avoid mistakes. That's how I found this site. I have few tools and no DIY abilities. Would welcome brand-name and other specific suggestions, etc. Budget secondary to aesthetics (within reason) because of location.

Problem:
Tank will be a room divider, so will be viewed from BOTH long sides and one short side, primarily. (no convenient 'back side' to hide stuff) It will sit on a wooden cabinet designed for the weight. I realize the Eheim filter will have tubing that will be visible.

What are the options for light fixtures?
I can't hang them from ceiling.
I don't like the 'heavy' look of wooden canopies.
I also have cats who will be intrigued with a new warm place, in case that is an issue.
Usually people photograph their tank interiors, so I don't see how the light situation is handled.

The tank I am considering is acrylic 75 gal. 'long' -- 48x15x18.

I would welcome ANY advice on how to 'suspend' (?) or otherwise deal with lights. I would like a verdant tank with most plant options available. I have heard it is also possible to have a 'night light' sort of option so the full lights don't have to be on when one is entertaining? Obviously looking for least obtrusive light options. Hoping there is a solution out there....?
Oh, I saw mention of 'grip lock' cables: look interesting - but I don't know how a fixture could be suspended...?
Thanks,
Bonnie

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Since you are going with an acrylic tank (which would not be my choice due to the way the tops are constructed) you can simply drill the bottom and install bulkheads for the canister feeds.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Do a search for "conduit" and you will find some interesting posts on using this material to suspend your lights.
Some light fixtures are available with "moon lights" built in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.