The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'm not sure if they are still free... but back in the day you could get swatch books of gel samples from rosco... They would be a 1 inch by 3 inch or so piece that had the color number on them as well as spectral information. You fan the booklet open and try out the various colors to try the various colors. If you're not solely interested in color, there were also some neutral density type filters and diffuser gels as well (basically uniformly spun fire retardant fabric) Keep in mind those are designed to work with theatrical lights which are incandescent (usually) halogen.

If you have flourescent lights you are trying to correct there were also filter tubes that slide over the bulb in tube style flourescents, avaiable in t5, t8 and t12 options

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure if they are still free... but back in the day you could get swatch books of gel samples from rosco... They would be a 1 inch by 3 inch or so piece that had the color number on them as well as spectral information. You fan the booklet open and try out the various colors to try the various colors. If you're not solely interested in color, there were also some neutral density type filters and diffuser gels as well (basically uniformly spun fire retardant fabric) Keep in mind those are designed to work with theatrical lights which are incandescent (usually) halogen.

If you have flourescent lights you are trying to correct there were also filter tubes that slide over the bulb in tube style flourescents, avaiable in t5, t8 and t12 options
I may look into this a bit further, see what it would cost to make a plate, 10 x 29 " I got a lot of light, a huge green peak I would like to knock down a bit. Back to reading about PAR first to see what would be best.

This is the one that interests me right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Reactions: MCSLABS

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
We have a local supplier here in town that does filters for filming movies. They have this one in stock, $10 for a piece big enough to cover my light hood.

https://www.rosco.com/filters/SED.c...&imageName=../images/filters/cinegel/3314.jpg

How much advantage am I going to acquire by reducing the yellow green spectrum ?
Advantage for what? It is just a viewing tone..
That one they have has a slight dip in the blue as well so more of a red boost filter.

More choices.. ;)

Reactions: Hoppy

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only advantage would be to reduce the spectrum to reduce the growth of BBA, I don't have BBA problem, I got a green algae problem. It uses the same light as that of the plants.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.