The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing alot of searches and reading up on moss tanks. I've read some people go as little as 2-5 hours or 6 max.

Is this for real and what the purpose of it?

The guy at my local fish store told me to go 10 hours. I'm getting contradictory information so I'm just wondering.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I think you should run your light 9 hours a day. If you want your moss to grow faster keep at 72 degree or lower and of course adding co2 and fert will also help your moss to grow faster.

·
Banned
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan on dosing with Excel and Flourish. I'm gonna try with the temp a little higher at about 76 or 78 digrees. I would go with a lower temp but the fish I plan on keeping might not like it that low. I'll give 9 hours a try though.

Thx for the help

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a 5.5gal w/ a 18watt CF light over it, the light is on for 12 hours and I only have a slight algae problem on the glass at times. The moss grows well all I need to do is actually attach it to the rock it's sitting on. I think 10 hours would be sufficient though.

·
Banned
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rion and dknydiep1 are you using co2 with that lighting? and Rion did you do a retrofit with your light?

I was looking at lighting upgrades for a 16" tank but the only retrofits I could find are 32 watt and 13 watt.

Thx for the input

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm not using any CO2 but I'm thinking of starting a regimen of excel once a week for the water sprite and other plants I'm planning on adding. No, my light is not a retro fit it's a Coralife mini aqualight. It's a 2x9watt fixture but I had replace one of the lights since it was an actinic bulb. It doesn't have any legs to prop it up above the tank so I bought a glass top and removed the black plastic strip since it was blocking half my light.

·
Banned
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not using any CO2 but I'm thinking of starting a regimen of excel once a week for the water sprite and other plants I'm planning on adding. No, my light is not a retro fit it's a Coralife mini aqualight. It's a 2x9watt fixture but I had replace one of the lights since it was an actinic bulb. It doesn't have any legs to prop it up above the tank so I bought a glass top and removed the black plastic strip since it was blocking half my light.
Yeah I was looking at those aqualights but figured it wouldnt fit. It never dawned on me to put it on the glass top. I'll have to look into them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.