The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to be getting a 56 columnar tank (30"x18"x24") and moving into the medium light range. I understand that a single fixture will not provide adequate coverage on an 18" deep tank and the plan is to get a Finnex 24/7 running the pre-programmed day cycle and dose Excel but I'm going to need another fixture for up front coverage. I'm considering getting two 24/7s but the question is what the beam angle is on these fixtures and if I should just run a Stingray up front instead rather than risk having high light where they overlap. If they are six inches apart atop the tank then wouldn't I be getting around 80 where they overlap? Would spacing them as far apart as possible do the trick with the front fixture towards the front edge of the tank?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
A single Finnex Planted Plus light in the center of the tank will do a good, but not perfect job of lighting the whole tank. My 65 gallon tank is the same as yours, but 36 inches long, and I light it with one Planted Plus. A 30 inch long light produces less PAR, but it should be good for low light.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A single Finnex Planted Plus light in the center of the tank will do a good, but not perfect job of lighting the whole tank. My 65 gallon tank is the same as yours, but 36 inches long, and I light it with one Planted Plus. A 30 inch long light produces less PAR, but it should be good for low light.
So you've got low light with that setup? I plan to use 3" of substrate on this 24" deep tank and, accounting for the mounting legs, that should give me around 22" to the substrate. From what you say about your similar tank it seems that I will need two fixtures to get medium light or may well have to consider purchasing a different fixture entirely. I was considering getting a BML so I could get a wider beam angle and use a single fixture bud sadly their hort lights are available in only 24", 48", and 72" sizes. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
13,078 Posts
So you've got low light with that setup? I plan to use 3" of substrate on this 24" deep tank and, accounting for the mounting legs, that should give me around 22" to the substrate. From what you say about your similar tank it seems that I will need two fixtures to get medium light or may well have to consider purchasing a different fixture entirely. I was considering getting a BML so I could get a wider beam angle and use a single fixture bud sadly their hort lights are available in only 24", 48", and 72" sizes. Any recommendations?
Small fixtures generally have beam angles of 120 degrees..
9.24" above the water line to light will give full f/b coverage ..
Raising obviously cuts light to the substrate..

2 small footprint LEDs will be required..
[email protected] 24/7 is a good match. Can even stagger programming..

That said a weak Stingray will give fairly adequate boost w/out adding high PAR..

adding a 2 row Beamswork w/ 90 degree diodes will punch PAR to the bottom (1W ones w/ lenses are fairly weak in its "class")

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.