The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to run 3x40 watt t8's over my 75 low light setup. (Which should be cool for low tech, right?) I have to buy bulbs for the fixture. Which bulbs do you recommend? I know that 6700k is what most aim for but I heard spectrum and wavelength is what is more important. How about using those Hagen Flora Glo bulbs? They are 2800k which threw me off but they seem to have an intense spike in the blue spectrum. Here it is where you can see the wavelength chart. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...ubref=AA&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=0021168000000

I just need some good bulbs to grow my low light plants with ease. Please recommend me some that are 48".

And also, aren't t8 fixtures able to use t8, t10, and t12 bulbs? But I would rather use the t8's anyway for their better efficiency.

·
Super Moderator
12,128 Posts
I am not sure what length T8 bulbs consume 40 watts; as far as I am aware, 4 foot long T8 bulbs are only 32 watts and not 40 watts.

However, with 96 watts of T8 lighting over your tank, you will likely push low-medium light. I have never used the Hagen Flora Glo bulbs, but have always used the cheap 6700K Daylight bulbs that I could find at my local hardware stores, and these have always worked for me.

You should have no problem growing low light plants with the lighting you currently have.

Also, T8 fixtures, as far as I know, can only use T8 bulbs (unless the pins are the same as T10 and T12 bulbs). What is more important, however, is what the ballasts are rated for.

·
Super Moderator
12,128 Posts
anyone have any links to some good bulbs to order since my LFS doesnt care much for good 48" t8's?
Check out your local home improvement store or hardware store before ordering on line. Packing and shipping may cost as much or more than the bulbs.
+1. Your hardware store should have 4 feet T8 Daylight bulbs for much cheaper than online stores and/or your LFS.

·
Super Moderator
12,128 Posts
but is the wavelengths of light just as good? Like is it just as intense in the red or blue spectrum like a bulb you find at a fish store?
I have never found the light spectrum from hardware store bought light bulbs to be an issue...

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Has anyone used a flora glo 2800k bulb? The spectrum looks promising.

I had one on my 29 gallon. I added a second fixture. That with my 2x18watt 6700k T5s tooked great. It just turned out to be too much light on my tank since I am also going for low-medium tech with DIY CO2.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.