The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello peoples
just wondering if the light should be turn off at night
i have 90 galon with many fishes and plant,i always turn off the light when its morning time ,but turn on and live it lighted during all night,do this is wrong?
should i turn off at night to?it wont be dark for the fishes?

also every week i change 30% of my water but the water still smelling,
is there a way to stop the water from smelling?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Fish don't need a nightlight. Some even go to sleep deeply enough when it's really dark that you can poke them repeatedly before they respond. :)

Depending on how bright the lights are, they should run from 8-12 hours a day. No more than that. Doesn't matter whether the tank lights are on during day or night in the outside world. Normal room lighting, or a little indirect sunlight from a window, won't disturb the lighting schedule you choose for your fish.

Would need some more info on the smell. What's it smell like? Fish? Mold/mildew?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Activated carbon should help with the problem. Change your filter cartridge, add another filter, or a bigger filter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanx for quick answering

i didnt know fishes also sleep
i dont know how to explain that smell,it smell like the sea ,like ther`s some rotten plant

overstoked? i have almost 20 fishes in 90 galon and most of them are bottome feeder like corey, i dont know if this count overstoked?

oh i have a marineland 350 canister filter, also evey three week i`m changing the carbon filled filter bag cuz i was told that the carbon filter is only good for very short time

this time i`ll try to size chape a marinland blue and white filter flose istead of carbon bag

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fish and plants need night time just like we do. Carbon is good for about 2 weeks then it starts becoming biological filtration.

How deep is your substrate and what is it and how high is your flow? How much do you feed?
when i bought my tank ,there was a 20pound of withe sand included
butthat wasnt enough to cover tank`s bottom so i added bag of gravel in all it isnt more than one inche
the gravell is natural brown

i think my filter flow is 360 gph

in morning before i go to work i feed them with flaks and blood worm ,and when i come back from work i feed them brine shrimp and flaks but at night i feed them more than morning

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.