The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started up a new tank 10g tank with sand substrant, driftwood and a ball of java moss. I got a Coral Light 18watt light obviously to much for a wee tank... I am going to hang this light above the tank..does anyone have a formula that would tell me how many WPG I would have from a certain distance above the tank? Thanks for any help provided!

·
Registered
596 Posts
The watts per gallon would stay the same but there would be a change in Lumens per square inch. For your information 18w over ten gallons is nowhere near too much. I'd say too little, really.

Brian

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Just started up a new tank 10g tank with sand substrant, driftwood and a ball of java moss. I got a Coral Light 18watt light obviously to much for a wee tank... I am going to hang this light above the tank..does anyone have a formula that would tell me how many WPG I would have from a certain distance above the tank? Thanks for any help provided!
I have to agree with briandmiles, It's still a very low light tank.
check out this write-up on the minimum light threshold.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have two 14W energy saver bulbs on my 10 gallon, and I consider it a medium-light tank. Maybe if you had another 18 watt in the tank, it might push the high-light side, but I know people who have had something like 70 watts on a 10 gallon.

Just keep the light straight on the tank if you wish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.