The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,940 Posts
Depends upon your setup, the plant load, your water parameters and how much substrate you're using. Among other things.

I have tanks that look great with Amazonia 4-5 years down the road. But that may not be the case with your setup. The only real way to know is to try.

If I had to guess? You'll get a couple years of good use at minimum. Likely more.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Late to this, but good to know as I've been wondering the same thing.

Sites that I find helpful (like "The 24 hr Aquarist") say that after 18 months a tank with Aquasoil needs a "reset". I don't know why the option of adding root tabs isn't mentioned. Is that what you do with your long lived tanks?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,940 Posts
Late to this, but good to know as I've been wondering the same thing.

Sites that I find helpful (like "The 24 hr Aquarist") say that after 18 months a tank with Aquasoil needs a "reset". I don't know why the option of adding root tabs isn't mentioned. Is that what you do with your long lived tanks?
Truly depends upon your setup. There's no set lifespan or period of usefulness. If you have a heavily planted tank, you'll probably use up nutrients faster than someone who just has a few Cryptocoryne and and some epiphytes. The heavily planted tank may need supplements after a couple years and the Crypt tank may not need anything for 5-6.

I've got a 20gal long that's been chugging along since 2012 with not much effort. It's just Crypts and random Bacopa, though, so there's nothing demanding. Last year I broke down an Amazonia tank (tons of demanding plants) I'd had running for just under 4 years because the substrate was spent.

Most people who experience nutrient depletion in their substrate just use root tabs or dose ferts to the water column. Use the search function here on the forum to see how people handle it. Varies from tank to tank and person to person.

I usually don't break down an Amazonia tank until my substrate begins to lose the ability to buffer kH. That's usually long after I'm ready for a new aquascape.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Belatedly, thanks for your insight. "It Depends".... truly. Not an easy learning curve, but this forum is such an inspiration to keep going... keep learning.... when I experiment with something I've picked up here and it works?! It's the best!

·
Super Moderator
16,940 Posts
Belatedly, thanks for your insight. "It Depends".... truly. Not an easy learning curve, but this forum is such an inspiration to keep going... keep learning.... when I experiment with something I've picked up here and it works?! It's the best!

Even when things don't work, we've still learned and know what not to do next time.

Active substrates are just one of those things that will never be the same from tank to tank. While the same brands and varieties probably won't be wildly off from each other? There are still variances from one batch to the next. They just make things so much easier in a set it and forget it kind of way and I am here for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.