The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 72 bowfront for 12 years. I noticed during today's water change that the plastic at the top is deteriorating and has developed cracks. So it brings me to something I have often wondered - does a tank have a lifespan? At some point does a tank need to be replaced, or at least have seals and other parts replaced? I'm not talking about the system in the tank - just thw tank itself. I'm just wondering if I should have a plan for replacement in the future.

Jewels

·
Registered
684 Posts
My dad's 180 gallon acrylic tank (3/8" all panels) has survived for at least 18 years so far.

With glass tanks only thing you need to do is replace/reseal it unless the trim is really messed up.

Do you have a picture of the cracks on your trim?

Worst case scenario you can try something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E2eo-dx-qk

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
My 29 is 35. A couple of 55s are at least 25. The Metaframes are 50.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
The lifespan of the acrylic will depend on UV exposure.
Try leaving plastics in the sun.

I run a pinterest thread with antique aquariums.... apparently tanks can last super long.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I've got 2 Metaframes running now that are 40 years old at least . Probably 75% of my other tanks are at least 10 years old . Up until around 2 years back , I had a stainless steel 20 long set up that had never been resealed . Anyway ,a long as the glass is intact , they'll last pretty much indefinitely unless the seals leak , then you reseal them and you're good to go again .

·
Registered
459 Posts
My All-Glass 125g tank has been in continuous service for almost 30 years. The only thing wrong so far is a couple small cracks in the trim. These type of cracks happen to all plastic, it's caused by the plastic drying out over time and slightly shrinking. A little careful epoxy application and I expect another 30 years of service. The tank may outlast me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.