The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my multi year usage of NSAIDs has come to an end. It seems that I have either developed an ulcer or very close to it. The pain in my gut right now feels like a red hot blow torch. Needless to say I might be a bit grumpy the next few days. :angryfire

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Well my multi year usage of NSAIDs has come to an end. It seems that I have either developed an ulcer or very close to it. The pain in my gut right now feels like a red hot blow torch. Needless to say I might be a bit grumpy the next few days. :angryfire
OK Rex....I will ask a series of questions <BTW nice chatting with you the other day>
Anyway...I am a doctor so don't think I am being nosy...
1. Blood in your stool? If so, bright red Mfrank blood> ir dark/tarry
2. OTC Prilosec <omeprazole> you can get the cheap CVS generic knockoff....works as well. Get on the stuff for a total of 3 weeks...then report back>
3. Pepto Bismol.....is a hoax otherwise...doesn't do chit, but Bismuth has quite a positive effect on combatting H. Pylori which has a habit of infesting viscera comprimization....so Use it and learn to love the flavor and color over the next 3 weeks>
4. Let me know how this progresses. You can use tylenol in place of the NSAID's for now, it will not have an adverse effect on stomach, but will help a little on the inflammation in your back. 1000mg q 4-6 hours.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. No blood in the stool.

2. I'm at 40mg twice a day.

3. I've already been taking 3000mg of Tylenol a day.

4. Tested negative for H. Pylori.

5. I will be going in for a look at the stomach next week. Just sitting here waiting for a phone call.

6. Stomach is extremely sore when palpated. The blow torch is pretty much 24/7, empty or full stomach. Can't keep much down. Can't lay down without feeling like acid is running up my throat. I have had several reflux incidents over the past week. Nothing like getting stomach acid at the junction of your trachea and esophagus to wake you up in a hurry.

If I had had blood in my stool I doubt I would have escaped the doctors office yesterday (the VA Clinic is right across the way from the VA hospital). To tell the truth it's rather sobering to have two doctors looking that worried as they examine you.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
they probably "look" worried because they were clueless...ha
How long have you been on the omeprazole? It takes a good week to turn off that damn Proton Pump...

also did they take a CBC?...I would like to know what you H&H is..<hemoglobin hematocrit>

·
Registered
596 Posts
they probably "look" worried because they were clueless...ha
How long have you been on the omeprazole? It takes a good week to turn off that damn Proton Pump...

also did they take a CBC?...I would like to know what you H&H is..<hemoglobin hematocrit>
Are you seriously going to diagnose someone over the internet while insulting the physicians that have had a chance to do a workup?

Brian

·
Registered
711 Posts
When you say blow torch I know exactly what you mean,I had ulcer a few years ago and yes the pain is excruciating,the only medication that worked then was a drug called ZANTAG but it was like 1000 mg. every 3-4 hours.
I feel for you Rex and hope you get better very soon.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
When you say blow torch I know exactly what you mean,I had ulcer a few years ago and yes the pain is excruciating,the only medication that worked then was a drug called ZANTAG but it was like 1000 mg. every 3-4 hours.
I feel for you Rex and hope you get better very soon.

uh Zantac?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How long have I been on the Omeprazole? About 10 years give or take. Just went to the heavy dose yesterday.

No blood work or anything like that was done. They tested for H. Pylori but previous medical history along with the heavy and continued use of NSAIDs pretty much sum it up.

My assigned doctor at the VA is a 4th year resident that is pretty damn sharp. His attending Physician is also one of the head Docs at OHSU. I had to wait about 30 minutes for the attending to make it across the sky bridge. The attending then got on the phone and called down to set up a upper GI ASAP. Told me if I did not hear from them by Monday to give him a call on his personal cell. Gave me his card and wrote his number on the back. Or maybe he just likes my legs :)

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
Rex I hope you get better quick, no one should be in pain. Every MD I've ever met believed that.

I might suggest however that the medical conversation with Fresh be PM'd so you don't have to tell everyone what exactly is wrong or what your tests show. Personally, I don't mind, my mom's a nurse and I grew up with her talking to MD's and other nurses around me all the time. I just think you deserve a little privacy. I'll leave that up to you.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Are you seriously going to diagnose someone over the internet while insulting the physicians that have had a chance to do a workup?

Brian
ummmmm joke/sarcasm bud...relax....

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Rex, pm sent....call if you need

·
Registered
596 Posts
ummmmm joke/sarcasm bud...relax....
Totally relaxed, I just get a little concerned when people (even those that are qualified) start giving out information over the internet without having all of the necessary data. I realize you asked for information and Rex was gracious enough to share that information with us all but, I guess that's just the way I roll. By the way Rex hope it all works out for you.

Brian

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Hi Rex

I certainly hope that you get better.

I'll send you a pm. I'm having the same tests.

Left C

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Sorry to hear the news, Rex.

I'm sure the pain I experience is nothing like yours, but storie's like yours are what is keeping me from getting on the NSAIDs train. At 46, how many decades do I want to be processing that stuff. And if I start on the meds now, what will I do when the pain gets REALLY bad.

Best of luck getting this addressed, man!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.