The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a dumb question but I'm a newbie so please bear with me: I want to put my new 7g tank in my bedroom but it has no lid so I am guessing evaporation will be greater than in a tank with a lid(I opted for lidless because I love the look so much more). Is it harmful/dangerous to have it in the bedroom? Could I get sick from breathing in that evaporated tank water? Can I prevent mold by just opening the window every day for a certain amount of time(which I already do anyways so it wouldn't be a hassle). Should I just order a glass lid?

·
Registered
75 Posts
You'll be fine, as long as fish don't jump on you at night :) But water evaporation rate in such small tank could be an issue if you leave the tank unattended for longer time. Rimless/lidless tanks look best with water level all the way to the top.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
The surface area of a 7 gallon is almost nothing.
Unless you were trying to keep it really hot (over 80*F) the amount of evaporation is not going to be enough to grow mold.
There is more humidity when it is raining than that small a tank would create.
I do not know of any diseases you might get, or toxins in a well maintained tank that could cause problems from the evaporation.

There are several possible bacteria found in fish (mostly it seems to be wild-caught fish) that can infect people, but most diseases need direct contact with the disease organism, via an open wound. For example, actually handling the fish, or immersing your hands or arms in the water when you have an open wound.

IACUC

A lot of people have aquariums in their home including the bedroom, and whether the aquarium is closed or not, a certain amount of the water is evaporating all the time. I do not know if it is possible to trace any particular person's disease to their aquarium, but I do not think it happens very often.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you :) I intend to keep the temperature at around 76-77 F and my Betta is not a jumper(plus I don't intend to put her in until the tank is cycled so I figure, no risk of her turning into a jumper?). I will get a tank lid for when I have to be away for longer stretches of time along with an automatic heater and timer for the lights so I figure I shouldn't worry?

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
You can go lidless, evaporation means more top offs but its otherwise harmless. Be mindful of fauna species as some do jump.
As for minimalist lid options I use Lezan-its clear and thin but doesn't break like glass, bow like thin acrylic. You can get it at home depot (light diffuser section) for fairly cheap. It can be cut with a utility knife/blade or a high tooth count (to reduce chance of cracks) electric saw.
If you are lazy and want it pre-cut there is a seller on ebay popdisplays that has clear lexan and can do a few cuts for free with your order (include cut info when buying)
DIY Lexan lid on my 7g cube

Showing how little Lezan bowed in nearly 2 years of use (when i tried acrylic it bowed up 2" at the corners in a week!) Same 7g cube

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.