The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got manzanita branches from PC1 (forum member). These are great. Affordable. Definitely going back for more.

Thanks for the concerns about the size of the tank regarding the discuses. Most likely, just one to two discuses the most. I will upgrade to a bigger tank soon. For now, just a 29 gallon. Made a typo on it being a 20 gallon on the first post.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
if you put adults in a 29 they will be just fine.

it will be a lot of work growing them out in a planted display tank, not impossible but challenging.

i like the set up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a 29 gallon from Petsmart. I fabricated the brushed aluminum frame using brushed aluminum bars bought from home depot. I had to do a bit of work to make it look brushed aluminum.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I fixed your first post to the correct tank size.

I like the driftwood arrangement. Can you get the other piece in there with them also?? 29 is a bit tight front to back, but I bet if you wiggle it a little, you can get it in there nice nice.

Whats your plant list?
Substrate choice?
Filtration?
Co2?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for fixing the typo in the first post Gatekeeper.

The 3rd piece of driftwood will not fit. I might have to cut the third piece to make it fit. I'll see.

Plants: For sure, all varieties of anubias. Java ferns. Maybe a carpet. Not sure. Still looking to see what I can get my hands on. I want to get the plants locally.

Substrate: black sand in the front. And maybe Ada soil in the back.

Fluval 105

Co2: 5lb tank

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I think the tank and stand look fabulous!
I think you should really consider different fish. Considering that a 29 doesn't really hold 29 gallons even, and discus are very sensitive fish, the wood and plants will just take up more swimming space. They won't be very happy, stressed fish are prone to illnesses. There are many smaller fish that are very attractive that would be great in a smaller tank, like apistogrammas.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I love the look of the tank!! That was a great idea for the brushed aluminium trim. Can I ask how you cut it and made the corners?

I'd like to do something like that for my acrylic tank. I'm tired of the glare that spills out in the gap between the water level and top of the tank.

Congrats and good luck with the fish decisions. I don't know much about discus, but I'd think that's not a big enough tank for them.

Take care,
mj

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.