The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Looking for a suggestion of a tall grass that is manageable in a 10 gallon. Trying to find something like a short Val of some type. I've heard true corkscrew vals get about 8 inches tall which I think would be a good size, but I've heard that it's hard to find true corkscrews.

Any other suggestions? I don't mind if I need to trim it back consistently as long as it's healthy and not folding over the water surface too heavily.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Sag can get taller if its reaching for the light some. I have some corkscrew val in my 210 (30" tall) and I have plants that are close to the water line. They tend to break off once they grow up to the return on that side of the tank at ~24" tall.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sag can get taller if its reaching for the light some. I have some corkscrew val in my 210 (30" tall) and I have plants that are close to the water line. They tend to break off once they grow up to the return on that side of the tank at ~24" tall.
Is there a way to control/trim these guys? If I wanted to keep it small, would that be possible?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Is there a way to control/trim these guys? If I wanted to keep it small, would that be possible?
Yeah, you can trim them. I have had mixed success doing so. Sometimes they are fine, sometimes the trimmed leaf melts. I have read that sharp scissors help. Either way, they do grow fast enough that even with some loss from trimming that they will stay filled in (or expanding).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.