The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This series of reviews is from visiting stores Summer and Fall 2009. Each review is written from the perspective of freshwater planted aquaria only. What I find interesting may not be what you find interesting. Feel free to post any updates, clarifications, or corrections. I'd like for this to become the reference I wish I had when starting an aquarium on the front range.

Store: Neptune's Tropical Fish

Plant selection: Medium. 1 fullish tank.

Freshwater livestock selection: OK. They seemed to have most of the things that everyone has, but I didn't see much there that was unique.

Dry goods selection: OK.

What's Unique: In freshwater, I didn't see much. Seemed to do more business in corals and reef organisms. They had one of the better setups I've seen for selling reef organisms.

Is it worth driving past 3 other fish stores to get to? No.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Plant selection is 2 40 gallon breeders (I think). Selection sucks, but Sharron has been getting in some new species in due to local growers. Overpriced, yeah, but who isn't compared to Internet prices and the swap and shop. They have been getting in some nice plecos recently, but again, you have to pay for them. You gotta keep in mind that they are catering to Highlands Ranch residents who like to throw money at things that make no sense to them, just as long as they have what their neighbors have. An important point to make is that they are very nice, knowledgeable, and take your money with a smile. I also appreciate their quarantine process which insures no sick fish go home which is more than I can say for most LFS.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are all important points. It matches the first impression I had of the store, too. Medium selection (quantity wise), but it seemed like the owners knew what they were doing, and weren't just out to make a quick buck.

I left a "quality" line off the review template because it seems pretty subjective, but maybe it is important to capture. I dunno, maybe at the end there should be a store rating like:

[ ] Awesome store, worth the trip even if you live on the other side of town, at least in some circumstances.
[ ] Solid store. If you're in the area, worth a look. If it's close, not a bad default store.
[ ] Stay away. Incompetent, uncaring, or both.

What I'm really trying to accomplish is to separate the top 2 on there. IMO, Fish Den and Sherman tank both are worth a longer drive, at least sometimes. But I didn't see anything different at Neptunes than I saw at the 2 Boulder stores.

Given that it's 50 miles 1 way between (eg) Aqua imports and Neptune's, I think it's valuable info that they really aren't all that different. But that both are decent, well run places.

I could see Neptunes being my default shop if I lived in the neighborhood, but, well, I don't. ;) Thoughts on how to convey that concisely and make these reviews more valuable?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.