The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This series of reviews is from visiting stores Summer and Fall 2009. Each review is written from the perspective of freshwater planted aquaria only. What I find interesting may not be what you find interesting. Feel free to post any updates, clarifications, or corrections. I'd like for this to become the reference I wish I had when starting an aquarium on the front range.

Store: Fish Den

Plant selection: Very good. Dedicated open topped tanks with MH lighting. An actual growing setup, rather than just a holding setup.

Freshwater livestock selection: Quite good. More tanks with more types of fish than what I've seen at any other store.

Dry goods selection: Very good. Multiple aisles of dry goods. I'm guessing that they probably have whatever most other stores have, and then some.

What's Unique: Also had a good selection of repair parts. I was able to find a replacement shaft for my canister filter, which I was ready to order. Overall, had a pretty wide variety of livestock and other items. The decor may be rather ancient, but they have a great selection of livestock.

Is it worth driving past 3 other fish stores to get to? Yes. I wish I lived closer. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with your review. This is the LFS I go to most often and most of my fish have come from there. They are very good about not selling fish that they even suspect might be infected with something. I've had good luck with all the fish I've bought from them and they're very nice. Their prices on supplies are much higher than you can get them for on line but I guess that's to be expected.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I went to fish den today... After reading this thread I thought it would be worth the trip. 5 hour round trip (blizzard conditions on highway). I wasn't satisfied. Plants included some vals, and swords, all covered in algae. On a side note their fish selection is top notch. :thumbsdow

·
Banned
54 Posts
Had my first trip there a few weeks ago and loved it. I'm more of a fish lover than plant but they do have a great selection of plants for low lighting. Also I like that there decos are out of date, you have more unique ones then common ones. They also are good on accuratcy with both there plants and fish. I had bought this real pretty fern plant that isnt suppose to be fully submerge at Pet Co and it started dying, but of corse they sell it as a aquarium plant without warning. The fish den gives you the right info. Also I love their huge slection of Fish and how well they take care of them, and better prices. They only charge more for the heavy equipment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.