The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

As the title says, I'm looking for some kind of red lily that can be kept somewhat small. I'm looking to fill a midground position in a 10 gallon.

The two I see most are red tiger lotus, which appear to get huge, and dwarf lilies. In looking at dwarf lily pictures, it seems like there is a vast difference in the leaf color, shape, and size between plants. Not sure if they are all sub species or not...

Ive also read somewhere that you can keep a red tiger lotus trimmed short. Anyone have experience with this?

Otherwise, any other suggestions that fit the description?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've kept both and they can both be kept in check with trimming and will eventually get used to that trimming and grow pads closer to itself rather than up.

They do have a tendency to spread roots from the bulb everywhere so make sure you are prepared for that.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Yes - agree with above.
As soon as you see a stem moving up beyond the others heading for the surface, just crop it off.
After a while the plant will get the message and stop sending stems to the top.
I've kept many red tiger lotuses regularly down to about 4" in height where I wanted them.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I've kept both and they can both be kept in check with trimming and will eventually get used to that trimming and grow pads closer to itself rather than up.

They do have a tendency to spread roots from the bulb everywhere so make sure you are prepared for that.
What is there foot print in the tank if kept small? Looking to keep to about a 5 inch diameter circle but that may be too small.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.