The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Some will, some won't and your experience will probably vary based on the types of plants that you're looking for. If you're looking for basics, like standard Swords, Ludwigia, etc., you'll probably be in good shape. On the other hand, if you're looking for specialty plants, you'll probably be disappointed. The wholesaler may not have them in stock and substitute whatever you may want with something similar or the selection won't be broad enough to get you what you want. For example, you may order a Red Rubin Sword and receive an Ozelot. This isn't a huge deal for a retailer. It is probably a big deal for you. As a matter of fact, many wholesalers simply offer potted plants at different price points and the retailer receives a grab bag of pieces. Further, as popular as planted aquariums seem to be, there isn't really enough of a draw for the average fish shop to have a broad network of plant suppliers.

I think you may find that buying plants from folks on the forum or from an online specialty shop may give you better choices and better quality. Once all things are considered, the price difference isn't that big of a deal.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it honestly doesn't really matter where I get them, it's just I want nice, clean plants. Snail free plants.

I usually buy my plants at a local large retailer store called Meijers (same kinda deal as walmart), from their fish section. and they're always loaded with snails. I don't really mind them itself, it's just I don't like my tank being loaded with them really, which always happens sooner or later.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have ordered plants and fish from petco before. It all depends on if they have access to what your looking for and if they can make money off of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts