The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I have run into this problem before. There is an LFS that I frequent, and they have been very back and forth with not enforcing mask wearing. Mostly not for. During the summer, I ran into the same issue. Then shortly after businesses started getting fined, they changed their tune. And then after the first orders expired, they stopped enforcing. The owner never wears a mask. And then the other day, there was random other customers just walking about willy nilly with no masks on.

Most other LFS I have been to in the area, they strictly enforce this and have things posted on the doors before you even come in. So why the heck is this place so difficult? Luckily all of the employees for the most part wear masks besides the owner. This is very disheartening for me though because this is my number one preferred LFS to shop at.

What would you do in this scenario? Take business elsewhere? Report them? Anything? I have suffered personally through my own experiences with COVID and I am one of the ones in my state lucky enough to be able to be vaccinated and I do not take this kind of thing lightly.

Edit: could someone move this into the right subforum? Sorry!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I won't get into mask wearing debates with strangers - at this point in the pandemic, if they aren't wearing them it's a deliberate choice and I doubt I will change any minds. I would not go there in the short term (for my own safety) and would likely write them off permanently. I am more understanding in other situations, but leadership of indoor retail stores don't get my sympathy.

I would strongly consider posting something a on their social media as a heads up to other customers. They can shop or not shop if they want, but it's nice to know in advance. Maybe the owner would change based on community feedback, but I would not bet in it.

As for reporting them, would that even do anything? The consequences of masking violations varies widely by municipality. Some places are not enforcing at all, so it'd be a waste of time.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
If you're not comfortable shopping there, you're free to take your business elsewhere. If your local mask mandate has expired, then they're free to walk around without a mask. They run the risk of alienating some of their customers in the process, but if the mandate has been lifted, then they're within their right to not wear a mask.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is now a different mask mandate in place, different from the first one. Our state has had a lot of slack with this issue due to political feelings. First mask mandate was made by our governor which expired in October, then the second made by our department of health and human services not soon after. So a general mask mandate still exists.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I mean, if there's a mask mandate, then yeah. As much as I want to support an LFS, they're putting themselves and their customers at risk. And if there are other LFS's, you should probably state that you're going to be giving them your business instead. Your best options would be to anonymously report it to the local health department for them to make an inspection. OR to leave a review on Yelp, FB, etc so people will know about it. Preferably FB, since I know that Yelp sometimes allows owners to delete bad reviews.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Science is real. COVID-19 is real. If you spread disinformation - especially when you're insulting others like this, you'll be banned. That's why this warning is public.
EDITED BY MODERATORS TO REMOVE INSANE CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Shop somewhere else or go to a communist country and force your hysteria on your neighbors there.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It would come down to your local mandates. Masks are not mandated in my county, so it is up to the individual. If your difference of opinion is great enough to stop patronizing their store, then that is your personal freedom. My long time LFS (20ish years) is hit or miss on masks and I still frequent them with my mask.

All in all, I don't think fish can catch COVID, but I'll wait for the science on that

·
Premium Member
5,710 Posts
Any stores that do not find it essential to ensure the health of their employees or customers I have chosen to not only not shop there now-- but, never again. My husband and I switched grocery stores after 15 years of shopping at this location because of their lax masking standards during the pandemic. We wont be going back. I also changed my hair-dresser because they were allowing customers to "sneak in through the back door" during shelter in place mandates.

·
Super Moderator
16,952 Posts
If anyone here wants to try spewing nonsense/disinformation/conspiracy theories about this, please let us know so I can permanently remove you.

Even making snide remarks about this pandemic that has impacted us all in myriad ways could warrant a suspension or removal.

And... This isn't Facebook or Twitter. You don't get to personally attack others or insult them with reckless abandon. It costs nothing to treat others with respect.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It would come down to your local mandates. Masks are not mandated in my county, so it is up to the individual. If your difference of opinion is great enough to stop patronizing their store, then that is your personal freedom. My long time LFS (20ish years) is hit or miss on masks and I still frequent them with my mask.

All in all, I don't think fish can catch COVID, but I'll wait for the science on that
Yeah I'm not worried about my fish catching covid. I am worried about me catching it. Lol.

I definitely think I will suck it up and visit other LFS spots. There is 3 other LFS within about a 3-4 mile radius, not including the two Petco's in the area. They all require masks. Sadly like I said, this one particular spot is the best one. At least in terms of variety and what you can purchase there. That being said, there's definitely something wrong with this place as well. When looking on google, I saw at least 5-6 reviews of people saying how they don't enforce covid restrictions or wear masks, etc. Not shocked.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I remember your first thread about this. If the store is not adhering to government mandates or public health orders, exercise your right to shop somewhere else.

What would you do in this scenario? It would not matter to me if it were my favourite store to shop at. If they were doing something I didn't agree with, I simply wouldn't put up with it, especially since the aquarium hobby is (for the most part) a luxury, not a necessity. Any essential items I need (food, equipment, etc.) can be purchased online or at another retailer. Inverts, fish, plants, corals, decor - all of these I can hold off on buying. It isn't necessary for me to buy them now.
Take business elsewhere? Yes.
Report them? I would report them as soon as possible in order to ensure that they are investigated as soon as possible. They may be fined, which sucks for them, especially if the business is privately owned and operated, but it seems that it is necessary. They may have to shut down temporarily. Worst case scenario, they close down for good, but none of these mandates and public health orders are new - if they are not adhering to them, it's because they are choosing not to, and I'm sure they're fully aware of what could happen as a result.

To me, it's kind of like seeing someone driving while under the influence. The person made the choice to drive while intoxicated. If you spot them swerving all over the road in front of you, you can take a different way home to avoid the problem. If you report the driver to the authorities, they can track the person down, stop them, and hopefully prevent an accident. If you don't, that driver could get into an accident, or they may make it home just fine - in which case, they may continue to exhibit this behaviour because they "got away with it" the first time. I don't like to tell people what to do with their own lives, but when they are potentially endangering others with the choices they are making, that can't be ignored. My $0.02.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah! Yes. I completely forgot about this. Yes, I have decided to not shop there anymore. I know I will be okay, but I am not okay with a retail business putting themselves as well as others in the community at risk.

And yes, I believe any one at this point who doesn't wear a mask is choosing not to. My mother, who has both asthma AND copd still wears a mask.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.