The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be there for a few days and would like to know of aquatic plant nurseries or shops that have a large stock of diverse flowering freshwater plants and fish such as killifish.

I'd appreciate your recommendations on the stock health :icon_smil

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
Unfortunately I have yet to find a place that has a good selection of freshwater plants period, let alone flowering. You may want to try to Aquaria Studio in Waterford. I haven't seen killifish there but I have seen some random "rare" lfs finds. May be worth a try, you could get lucky. There is also Fishy Business in Longwood (not too far from Orlando at all) that you could try. They had a lot of fish when I visited, just not the best conditions. No plants.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The plants at Aquaria studios are expensive as hell.. they specialize in saltwater mainly. Go to a shallow pond.. you'll find 5 to 8 species easily :p If you're here for longer.. Petland on South Semeron.. they are awesome. Order you a bunch of reasonably priced plants, friendly, and cool. I got huge sections of java moss there for cheap.. no shipping :D

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
There is another shop on Hwy 50 that a guy from the PetCo in Millennia recommended but I have not been able to find it. I hear you can get some nice plants if you go ditch diving at the county park in Apopka. Forgot the name of the park though.

·
Registered
313 Posts
On last Thursday when in Orlando I did some fish shop rounds, some of these are saltie (setting up a tank), i thought I would share :)
Petland on South 436 : good basic plants, ferns, anubus, swords, lace plants, marimo balls, crypts and vals (if I remeber). The fish were ok, standard fare, but it was interesting every tank had a crayfish/lobster. Kept the dead fish cleaned up, even in the feeder tank. They had discuss in a tank full of crypts, but other than that the tanks were kinda dirty except thr tanks full of nerites, and their salt water section was not good. I liked to write advice on the tanks such as "buying a pletco, don't forget a feeder block".....
Ocean Blue / Aquarium Studio on Aloma a few minutes West of 17-92: great saltwater, corals, and livestock, and tons of very organized equipment. They have a small corner of fresh water as well as a tank of plants, which had a few interesting stems. Their freshwater fish though, were awesome, besides the price. CPD, nice cories (not just albinos), rams, WCM, but very pricey (CPD = 7.99$ ouch). Felt actively ignored by the staff, and half their equipment was not tagged for price, and when I asked what the price on a small MagFloat was I felt like a hinderance. After that, I did not stay even with the rarer freahwater stock and plants
Sea in the City just West of the 408 and 436: Saltwater only. Awesome display tanks, wonderfull coral, great fish, and very well staffed in this small shop. They did jot have as much equipment as Ocean Blue but they were very very friendly. On the Thursday afternoon I was there, there was a busy flow of customers, all buying something, from nurses, to college kids, police officer, man, woman, very diverse. And they all were very apparently regulars on first name basis. Their coral was priced good, but some of the advice I recieved on my new tank was a bit hairy. If I lived closer, this would be my Saltwater shop.
I also stoped by several Petsupermarts, and a Petco, nothing out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
PetCo on hwy 50 (West Colonial) has some really nice plants in great shape albeit run of the mill stuff you should be able to get at any LFS. The difference being their plants don't look ratty like most other stores. I recently had to buy a bunch of stems to get a new tank kick started and stopped in at this store on my way home. Staff was friendly and attentive, was accommodating by picking out what I wanted which some stores actually are inconvenienced when you don't take what they think you want. Also the fish are in really good shape, they had some I don't normally see and the tanks are well maintained with no visible floaters etc.

·
Registered
154 Posts
@mattycakesclark I don't shop at Ocean Blue but I do swear by Aquaria Studio in Orlando (same owners I believe). I had the same experience my first visit, but being desperate for their cpds and cherries, I kept going. Once I started purchasing everything changed. Right or wrong, it seems that is just the way it works for those stores. But now when I go I get excellent service and the staff really knows their stuff. Bit pricey, but the pants and fish I get there are always healthy.

BTW if anyone is ever looking for Chiclids, Pet Bazaar in Oviedo has a good selection (thats the only fish they carry actually) and they are always always friendly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.