The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunatly, one of my LFS is closing down at the end of the month. My dad said I could get one of their 55 gallon show tanks for only $35. I'm not sure yet, but they might be selling a blue discus. It is fairly small.

My questions:
Can a relatively small discus (+-4 in) live in a ten gallon tank with a 5 gallon water changes weekly w/ a Fluval 204 until the 55 gallon cycles?

How many discus can be kept in a 55 gallon with a 50% water change weekly, and heavely planted?

And finally, what other fish can I keep with peacefully discus?

Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only problem is, none of my LFS have enough plants to heavily plant a 55 gallon from the start, and the fluval is rated up to 35 gallons I think and discus like pristine water conditions.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
that'll be fine

keep 4 or 5 in a 55.better with even numbers for pairing purposes.

and whoever said discus like pristine water is trying to hard. my discus get a small water change once a month if they are lucky. usually every couple months they get one. and they are all good sized and doing well

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I think you can cycle the 55 with the discus in it, especially if he's dinky and you keep up on water changes. It'll be easier on you and him. Put your old filter on there as well as the new and test your water often. Plants will help (and make him more comfy) but even if you can't heavily plant, I think a few plants and the old filter in the 55 will be better.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'll probably get another canister in a month after I get the tank, because I'm using the canister on my 15 gallon. And the cycle won't be big if I keep the gravel wet, right? I'll probably blow some money on the plants, and take some from my 15 gallon.

EDIT: Would changing 25% of the water ever week or two work? because my dad doesn't want want to spend a lot on his water bill for an extra 100+ gallons every month.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts