The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into my lfs and found this co2 diffuser that I was looking for (of course I didn't really need it for my plants as they don't require it but I thought it would help anyway). Well, long story short, the worker there stopped me from buying it, yup, stopped me form buying the product because he claimed it was poorly designed by the manufacturer.

He showed me that this part( Hagen Fluval Replacement CO2 Diffuser for CO2 20) is poorly designed because the pressure of the co2 can easily pop this part in half, as it is normally snapped together. He also showed me that if the suction cups come off, that the holes from the suction cups would shoot out the co2 and kill everything. So I left the store without it. I just want to make sure, is this true about this product?

This is the product I saw. Hagen Fluval Mini Pressurized CO2 Kit

I saw that ceramic diffuser there, but I am confused, If I were to buy that diffuser, where would I get the co2? From the kit? then buy that seperately? I can't see going back to that store as the worker absolutely hates the diffuser and refuses to sell it to anyone. Anyone know where I can get just the co2 tank? Its hard to order online as I am in Hawaii and the co2 cannot be flown here, yet it won't be sold to me by the worker at the lfs.

I got a 5 gallon with a Anubas Barteri and java moss with moss ball.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I have the diffuser. Used it on 40psi. Did not break and the bubbles were extremely fine. It takes a few hours to break in and the seal to form. Until then it will issue big belching bubbles. The suction cup does not cap anything. It was a flat out lie that he told you. Additionally if there WAS a hole to form it wouldn't gas anything if anything there would be less co2 dissolving into the water so:

1.) He doesn't know about the product he's selling
2.) He doesn't know how co2 works

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, he sounded very convincing. he even opened it up and showed me the product. He didnt show me that round one you have, he did recommend me to another lfs that has better diffusers.

Also, with the plants mentioned, do I even really need a diffuser?

Lastly, If I were to buy that round one you have, what else do I need? Should I just buy that mini fluval kit 20 and buy the circle diffuser seperately?

Thanks for the information by the way!!

Just to clarify, this is the one he told me would break because of the massive pressure. http://images.nitrosell.com/product_images/9/2087/thumb-A7542 - Fluval Co2 diffuser[1].BMP

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Oh that's a piece of trash. It's not a real diffuser it's more like an upside down cup that holds bubbles inside it. I'd personally not get a pressurized set up for a nano like that and non demanding plants. A 3L jug of excel costs about 40 bucks and will last you years (over 3-5) on a low light, small set up.

If you want a pressurized system I'd get a paintball kit for like 45 bucks. You can find them used tank and all for about 40. They're much cheaper and when you slap on a 5 dollar ceramic diffuser it's well worth the purchase as it can be used on a larger system up to around 20-30 gallons with relatively decent economy.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Its going to be cheaper in the long run to go with a 5# CO2 tank or a paintball tank for the C02 vs the Fluval Kit. Th Fluval kit is going to cost more in the long run due to how expensive the refill cartridges are.

If you want to do as cheap as possible, get the Aquatek Co2 Regulator + solenoid on eBay. Should run you $65+shipping. Get a 5lbs CO2 tank ($80-100 filled at your local welding supply store). Buy a ceramic diffuser ($10-15).

Its going to cost you more up front, but the refills on the 5# tank should be $15 or less, and with a smaller sized tank last you 6 months or so between refills.

Other good things to have: Check Valve ($5), Bubble Counter ($5-10), drop checker ($10-15).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ahh ok. Excel sounds perfect! Thanks!! I liked the look of the pressurized tank for some reason, but for $35 for the kit plus $6 for the replacement better diffuser, I may as well just get excel. Thank you for the information!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its going to be cheaper in the long run to go with a 5# CO2 tank or a paintball tank for the C02 vs the Fluval Kit. Th Fluval kit is going to cost more in the long run due to how expensive the refill cartridges are.

If you want to do as cheap as possible, get the Aquatek Co2 Regulator + solenoid on eBay. Should run you $65+shipping. Get a 5lbs CO2 tank ($80-100 filled at your local welding supply store). Buy a ceramic diffuser ($10-15).

Its going to cost you more up front, but the refills on the 5# tank should be $15 or less, and with a smaller sized tank last you 6 months or so between refills.

Other good things to have: Check Valve ($5), Bubble Counter ($5-10), drop checker ($10-15).
Thanks! I forgot about the refill costs. Seeing as how my plants don't really need the co2, I may just stick with the excel. Thanks for the info tho, I may do that once I can afford a bigger planted tank.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Remember that some plants aren't excel friendly. Have you checked out DIY yeast co2? It only costs a couple of cents to a dollar to set it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.