The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this is appropriate in this forum. If not, let me know and I'll remove it.

The short story: I've been a professional in Buffalo, NY for 3 years now, but will be going to grad school at UMass Lowell come Sept. I'm looking for a place to live, not sure where yet (possibility range from Nasha, NH to Cambridge, MA). But one of the consideration are my fish. I plan on bringing them with me.

I have:
2x 10G connected via waterbridge (running but empty for now, with exception of flora and shrimps)
1x 15G (Red Empress + P. Acei frys growout)
1x 10G (1 pair A. Cacatuoides)
1x 10G + 4x 2.5G (connected in a semi overflow situation, with shrimps + pair of A. pandurini)
1x 5G (SA puffer)

So the landlord has to be accepting of all this water in the house. So I thought maybe I'll try my luck on this forum and see if I have any luck.

If you (or someone you know) has a place for rent, and wouldn't mind having (more) fish tanks in the place. LMK with the details (ie. bdrm, ammenities, rent, etc).

I'm hoping for ~$600/month/bdrm slightly flexible, and may be looking for 1-3 bdrms.

Thanks,
Enoch

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Good luck finding anything in that price range... postage stamp sized 1 bedrooms tend to go from $1100 in the city down to maybe $700 in the boonies.

Seeing as all your tanks are small, I would adopt a "don't ask don't tell" policy.
You are never going to hear from or see 95% of landlords as long as you send in your rent check.

In towards the city, most apartments are on a September lease, and you should start looking around now. If you need any furniture, just wait till Sept. 1 and pick it off the street. It's when all the freshmen dropouts go home and throw out the thousands and thousands of dollars worth of stuff they bought with their parents money.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hey Enoch.

Good to hear you are moving to the people's republic. While I can't really help you out much, you should stop by when you've moved. My GF and I came here last September and couldn't be happier about the transition from Buffalo.

-Nate

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
You will probably have to get renters insurance to have the aquariums in your apartment.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all the info guys...

Yes, I have renter's insurance, but even then when you tell any non-aquarist that you have 4+ tanks, they're all taken aback, regardless of the tanks' sizes. And then each person's individual concern comes out. ie. At my parent's house, I have 2x 33G. My dad always complain about all the work that needs to be done to maintain the. But he only feeds the fish daily, I'm the one that does the trimming (most of the time) and the water changes. Also regardless if you have a 220G or 10G, it's a potential water hazard that some people don't want to deal with, although most people are reasonable.

Basically best case scenario: someone on this board was looking to rent out a bdrm, or an apt anyway. If the situation fits, I would hope that they look favorably upon someone who has the same hobby. I mean the benefit of having some that's in the hobby living in your house is tremedous. Extra spare equipments (no midnight panic if something happens), vacation fishsitting (and vice-versa), it's very mutually benficial.

Maybe I'm just dreaming.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I moved here with a 15 gallon, the broker that showed ups the apartment said fish and cats ok. We later found out that cats were not ok, so the fish tank was a little up in the air. But when a few months went by and my landlord had never been in my apartment I decided to upgrade to th 45. Still hasn't seen it but I'm sure he wouldn't even care. You just have to luck out I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts