The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm looking for several large pieces of driftwood for my tank. They would need to be 2'x2' minimum and preferable even 4' long or so. I have briefly checked out local wildlife areas and I'm a bit reluctant to use any of it as I haven't found anything well enough preserved that it wouldn't leach/decay in the tank.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Where in Illinois are you? I have some good sized pieces at my house that I am working on prepping now. Some will go in my tank, but there's no way it will all fit.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Don't take anything from a Forrest preserve...nothing but trouble there....LOL

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/s...131607-manzanita-manzanita-buy-2-get-1-a.html

Cookymoster760~
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sw...an-really.html

There's a nice large pc with a root that he was holding back for me. Looks like a hollow tree stump.
I'm going another look in my tank. You might like it for what you are thinking. I have a some cholla in a small tank it's great to train plants on, you get some tannin release that will soften the water a bit. I've also trained moss on it. Plecos love to clean this stuff, shrimp do too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the links guys. I was avoiding hte manzanita due to it's small branchiness being dwarfed in my tank, but that site has some beefier pieces that might work.

dogfish, your second link is broken for some reason.

Crazy, I am in Palatine, so about 2 hours or so from you. When the pieces are prepped you can contact me with photos I'd be happy to take a look at your larger pieces.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have purchased several large pieces from Jeff Michaels, who lives north of Milwaukee. He gets all sizes of malaysian dw, up to the XXL show pieces and at much more reasonable prices than a pet shop.
http://aquaticclarity.com/wood-and-rock/wood/

He attends the GCCA swaps. The next one is on December 4. Here's a link to info about the last one in September:
http://www.gcca.net/swap/index.htm

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Was Jeff the guy with the mountain of DW in the tubs? Nice stuff, but too much work to dig through at a Swap.

Im planning on having a table, if anyone wants to put something on it PM me. A prorated $ per sq. "lease" inch will apply. My sales/marketing time will be N/C.

:biggrin:

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
Thanks for the links guys. I was avoiding hte manzanita due to it's small branchiness being dwarfed in my tank, but that site has some beefier pieces that might work.

dogfish, your second link is broken for some reason.

Crazy, I am in Palatine, so about 2 hours or so from you. When the pieces are prepped you can contact me with photos I'd be happy to take a look at your larger pieces.
I have massive pinwheels. But those are freight shipping only, end up running about 300-350$ for shipping. Wood runs the same as the shipping type of thing.

Best bet it take a boat and wander around the rivers with a chain saw and fishing pole. Rent a boat or borrow/con a friend into it. During low water, the root systems of hardwoods are suitable in your area, particularly southern IL.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Frog,

Below is one of the pieces you can have if you'd like. Too big for my 75's but way too much character to toss out :) got some More for my tanks but the wife took it. Thats the second pic.

She wasn't happy about it siting in he driveway but now that pottery barn has some dead sticks in their magazine she wants me to get more. I suppose I'll help her out ...........while looking for the perfect peice for my tank :)

The last pic is an awesome looking piece but I'm not sure I'll ever get that one clean.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.