The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my new 5 ft tank ,450litres is here and ready to be setup once I’ve figured out what to do with my uneven floor, the tank is level but there are areas of the bottom of the cabinet where there are gaps due to the floor being uneven. I’m guessing throwing some packers to fill
In the gaps will Be all I need?

Attachments

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
I think you should be good with some shims. The frame should be able to withstand uneven pressure, unlike the aquarium glass.
Actually the tank can take not being level. It can take being supported only in the center on two pipes or boards. I've put 55s on two concrete blocks in the center of the ends with no problem.
What a tank can't take is racking. That will kill it in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Actually the tank can take not being level. It can take being supported only in the center on two pipes or boards. I've put 55s on two concrete blocks in the center of the ends with no problem.
What a tank can't take is racking. That will kill it in a heartbeat.
Good to know! What do you mean by "racking"?

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
Good to know! What do you mean by "racking"?
If, when the tank is on the stand it wobbles. You push on a corner and it moves.
A tank can't take that for too long. All you'd have to do though is shim it so it is rock steady. It also can't take something like a bump that is higher than the support. Like a pebble under the tank where the support is. That will crack it.

I've got a rack that I need to shim a tank or two. Not worried about it at all once it is shimmed.

Bump: One caveat however. Unrimmed tanks are a different breed. They do need a flat surface and I think, emphasis on think, they need support on the entire bottom like an acrylic.
Rimmed tanks are not as sensitive.

·
Registered
85 Posts
As long as the 4 corners are touching between the tank stand and the glass, you're good to go. Check it by trying to slide a piece of paper under each of the 4 corners. If it doesn't slide under each of the 4 corners, you're good. If it does. you have some work to do making the top plane.

Shims are fine to level the bottom of the tank stand to the floor.

One question I do have... is your floor actual hardwood or is it a vinyl click lock or laminate floor that is floating? That is a really important question depending on the size of that tank. floating floors and large tanks like that can cause some floor damage (buckling because it can no longer expand and contract). If it is nailed/glued down, you should be fine.

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
As long as the 4 corners are touching between the tank stand and the glass, you're good to go. Check it by trying to slide a piece of paper under each of the 4 corners. If it doesn't slide under each of the 4 corners, you're good. If it does. you have some work to do making the top plane.

Shims are fine to level the bottom of the tank stand to the floor.

One question I do have... is your floor actual hardwood or is it a vinyl click lock or laminate floor that is floating? That is a really important question depending on the size of that tank. floating floors and large tanks like that can cause some floor damage (buckling because it can no longer expand and contract). If it is nailed/glued down, you should be fine.
Actually it doesn't even need to be supported on the corners at all. It just can't rock on the supports.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.