The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 20 gallon fish tank and the front doesn't sit flush on the stand I have it on would I need to find a new stand or would placing a yoga mats or an aquarium mat under the tank also work?

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Hi, I have a 20 gallon fish tank and the front doesn't sit flush on the stand I have it on would I need to find a new stand or would placing a yoga mats or an aquarium mat under the tank also work?
Depends on what you mean by sitting flush. There is sitting flat so all parts of the bottom of the tank meets the top of the stand. There is sitting level which means perpendicular to the earths force of gravity. And there is situations where the tank is too big for the stand and part of it hangs over the edge.

If this is a rimmed tank that also matters as you never ever use a yoga mat or other leveling mat with a rimmed tank. But those same things are basically required with a rimless tank.

·
Premium Member
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
641 Posts
What he said. Also, if it's just a fish stand you may be able to pick up an old hand planer and us that to shave off some to level it out nicely. You can usually find those at garage/estate sales. Look for ones that say "tools" in the description if you can.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So long as the 4 corners are supported evenly you should be good, you don't need it to be flush on all edges, in fact it can compromise the tank. Definitely don't recommend padding/yoga mat to compensate.

I have found with metal stands that if you loosen the bolts a bit after the tank is full it can help the stand to settle out more evenly. Don't loosen too much! Just enough so that there is a small amount of play.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.