The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey was reading in another forum about having your tank perfectly level or it will stress your seals. Is this 100% true. I know my 55g is slightly not level when I fill it for WC its maybe 1/16th off. Is this unsafe that I need to worry about.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Get it as level as you possibly can (use a level). It takes only a few minutes and less than a couple dollars to invest in some shims from Home Depot. You can shim under the stand while the tank is full. I don't really think 1/16" would be too much of an issue, but it is best to be safe, right?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I shimmed my 55 gal and my bro shimmed his 125 while both were full (although his was a little bit more difficult to get started).

The wedge is thin enough where it will squeeze between the stand and floor... then simply push (or kick, or whatever) the wedge further under the stand.

Some stands are going to be more difficult to shim up than others I imagine.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so with the added shims this will not cause pressure points to the bottom of the tank where the stand meet

·
Registered
82 Posts
Since you won't be doing a lot of shimming... I wouldn't worry too much about it. For those that are doing a significant amount, it is important to not stop just when it is level, but to fill in the gaps between the points you shimmed so you maintain original contact between the stand and floor (now with shims between).

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
some put this high compressive strength;
Blue Foam aka Pink Foam aka extruded Polystyrene
aka Styrofoam aka DOW extruded polystyrene

between the tank bottom and the tank stand.
this helps distribute weight and soften vibration
if your tanks is not level or in a high traffic area.

this stuff is also great if you have a heavy rock
or driftwood that may press on the tank bottom
and crack the glass as it can be safely submerged.

·
Registered
163 Posts
When I started I was off by 1/4" now I am out by about 1/2". So far no problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.