The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be setting up the 60gal cube tank here by weeks end hopefully. I have the substrate in the tank sitting there dry, the Cannister filter is on its way, and the lighting has been ordered from AH Supply. I will be doing plants, mostly a lot of Anubius and crypts, it is going to look unbelievable against the stark black Tahitian Moon Sand.

Originally my plan was to have a school of 50 Endlers Livebearers. I may or may not still do that depending on IF eels are to my liking. What my interest pertains to is eels that are not overly large. I have been ninja googling for about an hour now and haven't found anything to tell me otherwise but I am hoping that there are such a thing as eels that do not grow to be more than lets say 7" long. If there are such things, please post up a link to them so I can read up. Anyone with personal experience with keeping Eels I would also kindly like some input on your experiences.

Thanks

·
Registered
295 Posts
http://azgardens.com/misc_fish.php

Third selection down, the Glass Eel, Pisodonophis boro.

"This is a harmless eel found in lagoons and estuaries, entering freshwater and paddy fields. Common in tidal reaches and nearby upstream areas of coastal rivers. Lives in holes in the river bottom and banks and actively forages for small microorganisms at night. Reported to spawn in rice-paddies during the rainy season Can acclimate from freshwater to brackish to marine waters fine. This eel lives in colonies, please order no less than 4 please"

I haven't heard many good things about the fish shipments from AZ Gardens though. But still some interesting little critters!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would avoid anything that says "can live in freshwater" as this usually means "should live in brackish water".

Your best bet is one of the smaller spiny eels(I dont think they are true eels though).Peacock spiny eels would probably be the one I would choose.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
do NOT get anu eel unless you are prepared to regularly purchase
and feed it LIVE food, as most eels will not survive on anything less.

eel owners can spend weeks and months starving their eels to
condition them to eat frozen food, and come out with lights on.

tubular small mouth eels like starry night eels will not eat any fish
in a community tank. they will mostly eat small live worms, etc.
large mouth eels, like snakes, will eat any fish they can get at.

glass eels are VERY fragile. other fish mistaken them for worms,
so they nip at them repeatedly above the substrate, and kill them.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Ive had a Peacock spiny eel in my planted tank for over 3 years. He has done fine with the frozen bloodworms i feed my fish so i wouldnt worry about them.

·
Registered
780 Posts
A peacock spiney eel is the best bet regarding size, though IME tiretrack eels are a bit more hardy. I tried several peacock eels in different tanks over the years, never kept them alive more than a couple months. I picked up a finger-length tiretrack eel that didn't look likely to last more than a couple days. (Faded color/markings, apparently a new arrival at the shop.) It recovered rather quickly, and became a great pet fish. It ate frozen bloodworms when small, then nightcrawlers as it grew larger. Unfortunately, I had to move, and downsized from a 55 to a 29. The eel lived in there for several more months, then I traded it off at the lfs so it would have a larger tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts