The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what type of loach is in my Avatar?

I have had him for about 5 yrs and they LFS store told me he was rare and I don't remember what they said he was.

He was much smaller when I got him and cost about $15 or $20 when I bought him.

Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yoyo loach or zebra loach.

Can be territorial and somewhat aggressive to other fish. Usually in my tanks the first fish to indicate something has gone wrong, chem inbalance, water change needed etc. Quite sensitive but very hardy at the same time. Love these guys. Biggest I've seen is about 4 inches. Can live a long time.

Kara

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He might be a yoyo. All of the pics I found via google look similar but a lil different.

I will take some video or a better pic and post tonight.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I was gonna name him "Phil". How long is he? I bet he'd love some buddies.

If I know loaches and if it behaves like my yoyo then it would not like buddies :D unless you wnat to entertain him by giving him someone to pick on hehe.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tpl*co I think you are the winner.

I think he is a Botia !

I think I named him at one point in time but forgot his name. Im not sure I like the name Phil for him..

OK now that we have established what type of loach he is , lets name him.

Any other name suggestions?

btw: thanks for helping me with his family tree.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I really think that it is an older YOYO loach. keep in mind that as they age the yoyo pattern is lost and they get the more reticulated pattern.

I also enlarged the picture.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He is very active. I think he is about 4" to 5" long. He has a lot of personality. Keeps the bottom very clean. I have had him threw two moves and he is still going strong.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seems like the Botia almorhae is a yoyo. Also there are a couple of slightly different Botia species. So he is at least in the yoyo family.

I'll take better pics tonight, maybe even video of this lil rockstar!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts