The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's my Red Rubin Sword lacking?

I dose Excel, Iron, Flourish, and Trace, and I have DIY Co2, and I even have root tabs at the base of the plant.

It's growing, but it looks terrible.

What's wrong?

The only thing I can think of is potassium or Nitrogen, cause both those are at or near 0 in the tank.

EDIT: Could something be eating it? None of my other plants are having issues...

I have Rummies, Neons, a Bristle Nose Pleco, a Clown Pleco, Ottos, Nerite snails, and pond and trumpet snails.

The only thing that could be eating it is my clown, and I never see him out of his driftwood.

·
Aroid Addict
3,494 Posts
Looks like Carbon def. DIY co2 systems can be erratic and may not be creating enough co2 for the plants. Swordplants are pretty greedy and will take all the nutrients they can get.

Seachem makes Flourish Potassium and Nitrogen, I would try to find those or some other K and N source and start dosing and see if they make any difference.

·
Premium Member
1,920 Posts
Your plecos are a possibility. Pleco damage looks very similar to that and they usually can only eat broader leaved plants. I see that you have watersprite? Are the finer leaved plants, such as WS, not doing well too?
But yeah you should definitely dose macronutrients (N, P, K). I use the seachem line and it works fine because I have a smaller tank and it doesn't get too expensive and I'm too lazy to bother with dried ferts.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to pick up some nitrogen tomorrow. I have some sports of BGA, so I need to get my nitrates up anyways.

Every other plant is doing perfectly.

I'll start dosing N and see if that helps any.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Plecos love swords, some varieties more than others. Mine would rasp my Amazon to transparency just like that.
I agree with surd, plecos will rasp the green off a sword leaving a thin transparent layer. I put a tiny bristle nose in my tank an he went to work on my chain swords, making a meal out of every leaf big enough for him to perch on. Ive also had a common pleco do this to a ozolot sword, looked like what you have, when he was done. The good thing is a sword will grow from the ground.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
CO2, CO2 and screams more CO2.

Swords: big hungry weeds, can translocate rsources from older leaves to new growth. If your inner leaves are not doing this but the outer ones are, then it's a CO2 issue, distorted leaves often occur as well if you go between good/bad CO2 ppm's.

You can easily rule out other nutrients: simply add them:cool:
Nothing clever there.

Then it's light perhaps and CO2 mostly.
DIY also screams CO2.

Regards,
Tom Barr

·
Aroid Addict
3,494 Posts
CO2, CO2 and screams more CO2.

Swords: big hungry weeds, can translocate rsources from older leaves to new growth. If your inner leaves are not doing this but the outer ones are, then it's a CO2 issue, distorted leaves often occur as well if you go between good/bad CO2 ppm's.

You can easily rule out other nutrients: simply add them:cool:
Nothing clever there.

Then it's light perhaps and CO2 mostly.
DIY also screams CO2.

Regards,
Tom Barr
There you have it, you need better co2. Tom's never wrong lol.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think it might be the plecos. I was looking at it today, and the new leaves are growing in just fine, with no holes and great color.

So, I Think the plecos are what's eating the plants...

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
I think it might be the plecos. I was looking at it today, and the new leaves are growing in just fine, with no holes and great color.

So, I Think the plecos are what's eating the plants...
They are regular plecos?
They will maw on plant leaves, and rotting plant leaves often have other goodies growing on them so it sometimes looks like they are eating them, but they do not bother healthy leaves. You need to be sure they do not hurt the healthy leaves, so you need to know if the plants are actually healthy and then being attacked. I do not think that looks like pleco damage really though.

Regards,
Tom Barr

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.