The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased some OEBT's from alphaprobreeder about a month ago. When they first arrived they were very active, as I expected as I read that they are more active than CRS. However, in the last few weeks they have becoming very lethargic, they just hide underneath the piece of malaysian driftwood I have in the tank. My CRS are more active than the OEBT's are now. I am trying to figure out what is wrong, and looking for a little insight from those who have had OEBT's for awhile.

My tank parameters as of yesterday were:
PH - 7.2
GH- 5
KH - 2
Amonnia - 0
TDS - 117

I have them in a 20g reg tank, with a piece of Malaysian driftwood, a sponge filter and a HOB filter. Gravel is an inert black gravel I got from 3M. Prior to yesterday I had not done a waterchange since the shrimp were put in (one month ago). I have dwarf hairgrass and dwarf babytears growing in the tank. Lighting is a 55w unit, on for about 10hours a day.

I did a 25% water change last night, adding 100% r/o water. I began wondering if maybe the HOB filter (for 10g tanks) was creating too much water flow in the tank, so I removed it. Then I upgraded my air pump to a Whisper 60, right now I am only using 1 of the outlets on it, may get a valve so I can funnel the air from both outlets into the same sponge filter.

Following the water change my parameters are:
PH - 7
Gh - 4-5
KH - 1-2
TDS - 87
Ammonia - 0

I also added some Giant Hairgrass too.

I feed them three times a week, one day is either frozen brine shrimp/blood worms, one day is a veg (peas/cucumber/spinach), and the other day is a Shirakura wafer. They don't go anywhere near as crazy for any of the above as my CRS do.

I know in talking with Ron at Alphaprobreeders that he keeps his shrimp in tanks with 250TDS, however I have read that OEBT's can be kept in 100tds. Obviously mine is below that now with the water change, however prior to it was above 100.

Is there something I am missing here that is causing them to hide and be so inactive? Am I not feeding them the right food? Is the light too strong? Water Circulation?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
i would put more cover in the tank. i like to use bamboo cause the shrimp for some reason like to be upside down or mine do any way and with bamboo its natural and goes with my scapes and since its light in color makes it easy to see the shrimp when in it

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Well you said they were acting right? Now they're lethargic? Have you changed anything up?

Do some water changes. Make sure no chemicals have gotten into the tank.

Have you changed a lighting routine or the aquascape?

Also most of us (I think) are on the Fahrenheit scale.

22-23, steady.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
How do you recommend going about that?
I've read some about Bee Shrimp Mineral GH, has anyone used it?
As in anything, you get what you pay for.

Shirakura Ca+ is probably the cleanest, but it is more expensive.

It gives you what you want mineral wise (shrimps shells look amazing with it) and it is very low on other fillers and junk.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
No reason to alarm you but this happened to mine as a bacterial infection took hold. I dosed Melafix, Marcyn 2, and one day of Paraguard (knocked a berried OEBT for a loop so I stopped)...those were at different times of course. But yes, mine were active the first couple of weeks then began hiding...they would only come out to eat if I turned the lights off. I lost 22 out of 23 within 3 months. I did everything I could for them and have just now torn the tank down. The shrimp were healthy coming in, they did not arrive with infections rather they could not adapt to the bacteria in my water. Some adapted fine but as the ones that began to get ill died, and were eaten before I could get them out, they infected the others. That is my theory anyway on how it went through 3 separate colonies within a short amount of time. All of my parameters were fine....I am convinced it was something IN the tank killing them because if they fell ill I could put them in a fresh cup of 1/2 tap/1/2 RO water and they'd perk up. The same tap/RO mix I used for the tank. I actually pulled a berried mother near death through 3 weeks in quarantine with 100% water changes daily like that. So for me the only other option I had was to tear the tank down.

Are any of the shrimp missing partial areas of antenna or having crooked/floppy antennae? That was my first sign. Even then some died with no signs at all. It was so depressing it will be a LONG time before I try OEBTs again. I wish you luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As in anything, you get what you pay for.

Shirakura Ca+ is probably the cleanest, but it is more expensive.

It gives you what you want mineral wise (shrimps shells look amazing with it) and it is very low on other fillers and junk.

How does one judge a good molt? The ones I see, and they are frequent and plenty, are very white.

As for a bacterial infection, I sure as [censored][censored][censored][censored] hope not. I haven't seen any crooked/floppy/missing antenna's. I've got one that is missing a few of its legs, but I think that'll be the result of a bad molt.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The missing legs can be a sign of bacterial infection. if you need a link I can post it (almost bedtime here). When molts are VERY white they make me think of a thick shell and on the verge of a bad molt...that's only my theories based on thick shell molt and next time I had to pry the shrimp out of a molt and the shell was VERY hard in my fingers. I like thinner, easier looking molts. Thick white molts worry me. I'm still new to all of this so take my words with a grain of salt.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
How does one judge a good molt? The ones I see, and they are frequent and plenty, are very white.

As for a bacterial infection, I sure as [censored][censored][censored][censored] hope not. I haven't seen any crooked/floppy/missing antenna's. I've got one that is missing a few of its legs, but I think that'll be the result of a bad molt.
Well judging a good molt is just making sure they shed the shell and the new one is undamaged.

But judging a nice shell? I'm a shrimp nut, so when I see a nice shell it makes me warm inside!! A good shell is shiny with no pitting, reflects light and just looks damn nice!

My REALLY old RCS have nice shells due to the Ca+

View attachment 58896 .

These girls will probably pass away soon :( they've been alive for nearly 2 years.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Sorry to hear your having problems. Your TDS is way to low for blue tigers, I keep mine between 180-200. Just make sure you raise it over a few days and not all at once.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I should have specified that the molts were not immediately white, but turned very white about 24hrs afterwards.

At this point the deaths seem to have come to a stop - I lost nearly half of my small 22 shrimp population. I have some Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ to be delivered tomorrow for raising the TDS. I've actually noted that there is some increased activity from the remaining live ones. Additional, of the ones that died, it was only the smaller ones (less than 1/2 "), none of the largest (these aren't full grown yet). And the strange thing was, none of my blue OEBT's died, only the blonde ones... I only had 4 blues to start with, so I'm counting my blessings that none of them kicked it.

However, I have now noticed some unknown inhabitants in the tank, I've never seen them in my CRS tanks. It looks like a slug almost, white/silvery grey in colour, oblong shaped, and kind of glides along the surface of the tank. It moves faster than any snail, but reminds me of a snail without its shell. Any idea what this is? I've removed two from the tank already.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts