The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten rid of my java moss, sort of. Fragments kept floating around and establishing themselves in unwanted places.

Made a heck of a mess of my glosso. But the final straw is that it started growing out of my biggest marimo ball. I've been pulling it out as it appears for two months now.

Are there any better-behaved mosses? Or are they all like this?

·
Registered
745 Posts
i cant tell the difference between the two mosses so it would be the same situation

tho I think all mosses would be like that if you trim them in tank with alotta water and dont remove the tidbits immediately

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I don't think you can ever get rid of a moss once it's established in the tank, I have pieces everywhere of java moss and flame moss. It only takes a tiny segment to break off/miss while you trim and it'll start growing again. The only way that would "help" that I could think of would too have it on an individual item that can be easily taken out and trim it outside of the tank. When I rescaped my tank and everything was out it was funny too see how much java moss I had growing everywhere on the gravel, not including the moss that was tangled in with my plants. It use to bug me, but now I kinda just deal with it. I'll pull out large clumps that are visible, but even when the tank empty of plants it got tedious trying to pull out each little strand of java moss. Maybe somebody will give their secret too keeping moss in one specific area, but it's kind of something I've just grown too accept. Especially when plants are dense and with a carpet it's nearly impossible to pull out each individual strand that's not on the driftwood.

Just try picking up all the little pieces when you trim and you should be pretty good as long as you go slowly. If your like me and lazy, I just switch the pieces I miss and don't feel like picking up towards the back so they fall towards the roots of the plants and aren't visible lol .

·
Registered
712 Posts
I believe that there is a way to remove moss from a tank. Turn the water temperature up - my Taiwan, xmass and flame moss - all died with water temp around 80-82. Either that or my tank is just designed to kill em!

I can't get them to grow all lush and green...

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
A Better Behaved Moss

Hello Dark...

There is absolutely a much better behaved moss, Singapore. I've had it in one of my 55 G low tech tanks and it's done extremely well, but hasn't taken over the tank. I got it attached to a large piece of driftwood a couple of years ago and initially, it died way back, thought I'd lost it. But, it's recovered nicely and if you keep it on the bottom of the tank it's very nice looking.

Occasionally, a piece will break off and float to the surface and attach itself to a stem plant. Closer to the light, it can grow thick branches, but still looks very nice. If you want to keep the pieces from growing, just pull them out of the tank before they get a chance to attach to another plant or attach them to another piece of bottom driftwood. May have a pic or two I can send you.

B

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Singapore moss pics

Hello again Dark...

Attached are a couple of different pics of my Singapore moss. My wife, the aquatic plant expert, doesn't think these two are the same plants, but I think they are, just under different lighting conditions. Anyway, you be the judge.

B

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have my java moss attached to driftwood, and move it to a bucket of water when trimming in order to reduce the mess; but apparently that wasn't enough.

The Singapore moss looks promising, and more manageable with those thicker stems. I will look into it further, thanks!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
ive had much much better luck with my flame moss than java, still tryin to get rid of some java stuck in cracks of my wood but the flame is just nice. i think a key part is when trimming shut off all flow and net out as u trim to minimize the floaters.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.