The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking of buying a new lens to my nikon d40 (I am planning to buy d300 in the nearest future as well) and would like to hear any recommendations about good, not so expensive lenses to photograph my fish tanks. Anyone?

·
Registered
222 Posts
As long as you consider an AF-S lense for the D40 - auto focus is not an issue.

I like the following:
50mm f1.4
60mm macro f2.8
105mm macro f2.8
and I know of people who use the 70-200 f2.8 (expensive)
and depending on the intention of your shot, you can get away with a kit lense as long as you have enough light.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I wouldn't think twice about spending less on the camera so I could spend more on a lens. Many of my lens cost 2k plus and all have outlasted at least 4 cameras. Camera technology changes every 6 months- lens technology crawls at a snails pace in comparison. If you going to "settle" settle for a camera not a lens. I personally own the Nikon 70-200 2.8, 50 1.4, 17-35 2.8 and the 105 macro 2.8- They will all get what you need done and at several different price points. (I'm a pro photographer.)

·
Registered
450 Posts
I wouldn't think twice about spending less on the camera so I could spend more on a lens. Many of my lens cost 2k plus and all have outlasted at least 4 cameras. Camera technology changes every 6 months- lens technology crawls at a snails pace in comparison. If you going to "settle" settle for a camera not a lens. I personally own the Nikon 70-200 2.8, 50 1.4, 17-35 2.8 and the 105 macro 2.8- They will all get what you need done and at several different price points. (I'm a pro photographer.)
Totally agree, I'm a pro as well :)

Not to mention quality lenses hold their value very well (some even go up in value!) over time :proud:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking at Tamron 90mm F/2.8 DI SP AF Macro 1:1 Lens For Nikon and I read a lot of reviews saying it's nice macro lens. What do you guys think? I don't care autofocusing when doing macro shots, but the newer tamron model has built-in focusmotor, which would help with general photography.
I also read about people using old nikkor 50mm macro lenses, which run cheap on ebay (at around $100). I'd like your opinion on this, thanks.:)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I was looking at Tamron 90mm F/2.8 DI SP AF Macro 1:1 Lens For Nikon and I read a lot of reviews saying it's nice macro lens. What do you guys think? I don't care autofocusing when doing macro shots, but the newer tamron model has built-in focusmotor, which would help with general photography.
I also read about people using old nikkor 50mm macro lenses, which run cheap on ebay (at around $100). I'd like your opinion on this, thanks.:)
Tammy 90mm is a tack sharp lens. A steal for the price clubbed with the mail in rebate they have going on. The Nikkor 105mm VR is better built and said to be slightly sharper than the Tammy. But at double the price it would be your call.
With 50mm are you talking about 55mm f/2.5 AI-s micro or the 50mm f1.8 D with tubes?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Both are good lens. Hope you are aware they would not meter with your D40. They also do not do 1:1 but 1:2. So you will need extension tubes to get 1:1 magnification.
Well, I'm a total amateur when it comes to lens:), but yes, I was aware it won't meter. Is it going to be a big issue just to photograph fish? What about Tamron? What would you do if you'd have limited budget like i do now::icon_mrgr?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well, I'm a total amateur when it comes to lens:), but yes, I was aware it won't meter. Is it going to be a big issue just to photograph fish? What about Tamron? What would you do if you'd have limited budget like i do now::icon_mrgr?
If you are an amateur it is better you stick with lenses compatible with your D40.
Tammy 90mm is a good lens. I was in the same position as you are right now. So I snagged a Sigma 180mm f3.5 Macro when I got a good deal on it and am still saving up to get the Nikon 105mm VR micro.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are an amateur it is better you stick with lenses compatible with your D40.
Tammy 90mm is a good lens. I was in the same position as you are right now. So I snagged a Sigma 180mm f3.5 Macro when I got a good deal on it and am still saving up to get the Nikon 105mm VR micro.
Thanks Bhushan for your advice, I think I'll stick to that Tamron 90mm. Now I have to do two things- convince my GF why we NEED this lens and try t save money to buy it:)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
414 Posts
I found that Tamron sells new macro lens as well
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...c_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance
but it's even more expensive than 90mm. What's the difference between those two when it comes to aquarium photography?
I would recommend sticking with the 90mm. It will give you more working distance which can be useful when you are photographing timid fish or critters. The new lens has one stop larger aperture and is one of the fastest macro on market hence the price.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would recommend sticking with the 90mm. It will give you more working distance which can be useful when you are photographing timid fish or critters. The new lens has one stop larger aperture and is one of the fastest macro on market hence the price.
Thanks a lot man, you've helped me narrow my choice. I grabbed a nikon close-up lens +2 from ebay (it was a very good deal) so I'll try to take some pictures using it aand I'll start saving for the tamron:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts