The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CO2Art Pro-Elite regulator with a second manifold. I was wondering how long of a length ofCO2 tubing can I run to a second aquarium. The aquarium that I want to run it to is about 20 feet away from the aquarium where the CO2 cylinder is. Will this work? Are there any special considerations that I need to take? I figured that a check valve close to and above water level would be necessary on the second aquarium. Any input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
276 Posts
This is just physics, you will loose a little pressure but not much due to the length. You will have to at the very least double the output because you are doubling the tanks. The main issue will be that you will require extra pressure on the longer length of tubing.

When I split my air lines (I have like 5 tanks set up with one pump split with 5 T connectors) the longest runs of tube or the ones that are placed deepest or the ones with airstones have the most resistance. I put a valve on every single line so I can dial it in appropriately. If you are just doing one split then a single valve on the line with the least resistance will work just fine.

So, double you CO2 pressure, put a valve on the line that has the LEAST resistance. If the tanks are the same, the depth of the output of the CO2 lines is the same, then the main thing will be the length. Also, the more turns and kinks that go in the line will also cause more resistance.

So once that is all set up it's just down to you CO2 system's output pressure. Then dial in the valves so that the output is even, or whatever you want.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I currently have my Co2 cylinder and regulator under one tank and run some tubing(about 10 feet) to my second tank. I do have 2 needle valves, 1 per aquarium. I run 2 check valves for the longer tubing. 1 close to the regulator and one maybe a few feet away from my reactor. So far so good. I have no rhyme or reason as to why I run it with 2 check valves, I figured that 2 is better than one? ;)

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
My line runs about 50 feet, from my basement to the tank on the first floor, with no problems. I would recommend using some of the better tubing materials for extended lengths, such as polyethylene or urethane (I use urethane).

Reactions: Aaronious

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Reactions: Deanna

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Typical airline tubing (silicone) is more permeable than urethane and polyethylene. This doesn’t matter much in short lengths, but long lengths may result in more leakage than desirable. Flexible vinyl (PVC) tubing may harden over time from the CO2. Additionally, softer tubing may blow off of some connections unless clamped on, particularly when using ceramic diffusers.

Urethane tubing is stiffer, thicker and harder to work with than the softer airline tuning. For the stiffer tubing, heat the ends to soften them before pushing them onto a connection. I boil some water in a glass, then stick the ends of the tubing into it for a minute to soften them.

Reactions: Econde

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Typical airline tubing (silicone) is more permeable than urethane and polyethylene. This doesn’t matter much in short lengths, but long lengths may result in more leakage than desirable. Flexible vinyl (PVC) tubing may harden over time from the CO2. Additionally, softer tubing may blow off of some connections unless clamped on, particularly when using ceramic diffusers.

Urethane tubing is stiffer, thicker and harder to work with than the softer airline tuning. For the stiffer tubing, heat the ends to soften them before pushing them onto a connection. I boil some water in a glass, then stick the ends of the tubing into it for a minute to soften them.
Interesting. I have polyurethane tubing from CO2Art that I will start with and see how it goes. Thanks so much for the info!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts