The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you had, or presently have Lemon Tetras? Do you Love 'em or dislike 'em and why?

I have read a lot of people find them to be a fun tetra with nice coloring, and others have stated just the opposite. I am sure like most fish, the environment has plenty to do with the coloring and behavior of the fish. And of course, in the end, it all comes down to personal preference. Still, I thought it would be interesting to have folks tell those of us that are interested in Lemon Tetras about their personal experience with this species.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I like them. They're placid, hardy, and if you keep them in the right conditions (low-light, soft, acidic) their colors really come through.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hi amanda to answer your question. I think I just expected more from them. They are good looking fish and when I compare mine to pictures online there color seems just as good. I guess I wanted more yellow though. I think when i get better quality bulbs it will make a big difference. My tank is mod to heavily planted. They are just not doing much for me.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi amanda to answer your question. I think I just expected more from them. They are good looking fish and when I compare mine to pictures online there color seems just as good. I guess I wanted more yellow though. I think when i get better quality bulbs it will make a big difference. My tank is mod to heavily planted. They are just not doing much for me.
Hmmm, that's too bad. They do appear to be more on the transparent side with a hint of yellow throughout. Is that what they look like to you? You probably already have seen the Electric Yellow Lab Cichlid (and it's not a schooling fish), but thought I'd mention it just so you could take a look-see if you haven't seen them. Talk about awesomely yellow!
Thank you for your thorough input ;)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Taking a front seat for this one...lol
I knew you would! I was planning on it ;)

I love mine, they are a great schooling fish!
They school better than most other tetras such as Skirts, Phantoms, Bleeding Hearts, and Von Rios, I believe. Have you found this to be true in your tank?

I like them. They're placid, hardy, and if you keep them in the right conditions (low-light, soft, acidic) their colors really come through.
Sounds like they will love my tank! Low light, soft and acidic. Perfect :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I've noticed the Lemon Tetra has somewhat of a tendency to school with other species. The more they resemble in size and shape, the stronger it is. Put them with Pristellas - another loose schooler - and you'll be watching a mess probably more than 80% of the time.

But a very nice tetra indeed.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Hmmm, that's too bad. They do appear to be more on the transparent side with a hint of yellow throughout. Is that what they look like to you? You probably already have seen the Electric Yellow Lab Cichlid (and it's not a schooling fish), but thought I'd mention it just so you could take a look-see if you haven't seen them. Talk about awesomely yellow!
Thank you for your thorough input ;)

I did africans for years, years ago. I think it more comes down to I am more of a large fish person. I have lemons, black neons, roselines, and Laetacara araguaiae, gold ring hillstream loach, and some others in my tank. The lemons are my least favorite.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've noticed the Lemon Tetra has somewhat of a tendency to school with other species. The more they resemble in size and shape, the stronger it is. Put them with Pristellas - another loose schooler - and you'll be watching a mess probably more than 80% of the time.

But a very nice tetra indeed.
That's good to know! Thank you!

I did africans for years, years ago. I think it more comes down to I am more of a large fish person. I have lemons, black neons, roselines, and Laetacara araguaiae, gold ring hillstream loach, and some others in my tank. The lemons are my least favorite.
Talking large fish, my favorite is the Crossback Gold or Red Arowana. I tell ya, if my husband loved fish as much as I do, we would so build a humongous tank for an arowana!

Thanks for sharing your opinion regarding the Lemon Tetra!

·
Registered
745 Posts
That's good to know! Thank you!

Talking large fish, my favorite is the Crossback Gold or Red Arowana. I tell ya, if my husband loved fish as much as I do, we would so build a humongous tank for an arowana!

Thanks for sharing your opinion regarding the Lemon Tetra!
Asian aros are gorgeous. Too bad they are not legal in the US.

·
Registered
233 Posts
FWIW I love Lemon Tetras. I used to have 27 in my 55g. Sadly I lost them all in one day due to a stupid mistake on my part. Shortly after that I got some Rummies (which I love) and some Black Phantoms. I really wanted to like the Black Phantoms, but find myself regretting not getting more Lemons. I am now in the process of setting up a new 125 gallon tank. When it's time to move the fish over the BFs are going back to the lfs and I am getting more Lemons. As far as the color goes, I had mine for about a year and they had some excellent color, far different than when you see them in a store.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I went to my lfs this morning to see how their stock looked - they had one lemon tetra and it was quite pretty - the fins had bright, solid, and distinct color and the body was a translucent lemon drop color. They also carry Gold tetras all the time, and even though everything I read say fry won't get the gold sheen (it is apparently due to a reaction to parasites in the waters of wild caught fish) they are still spectacular! They schooled as tightly as rummys and looked like they were dipped in liquid plate colored like platinum/gold. Staying under 2" is adult size, I'm going to QT a bunch for a 29g. I pulled some pics off the internet, these may be a fair substitution for lemons?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They schooled as tightly as rummys and looked like they were dipped in liquid plate colored like platinum/gold. Staying under 2" is adult size, I'm going to QT a bunch for a 29g. I pulled some pics off the internet, these may be a fair substitution for lemons?
Hmmm...interesting. It's not too often fish keepers actually want "Infected wild caught fish" but with this fish, sounds like that's the way to go if you want a trully golden fish! Platinum gold (silver) is quite nice too. Schooling as good as Rummy Nose is a plus! You'll have to LMK what you think of them after they've settled in your tank DriftwoodHunter. I am still on the track of Lemon Tetras. Maybe it's the name...Afterall. I do loooooove lemons :tongue:
:hihi:

I am going to give them a try. Perhaps 15+. Nice thing with our LFS is if the fish don't turn out to be just what ya were looking for, you can exchange them for something else.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FWIW I love Lemon Tetras. I used to have 27 in my 55g. Sadly I lost them all in one day due to a stupid mistake on my part. Shortly after that I got some Rummies (which I love) and some Black Phantoms. I really wanted to like the Black Phantoms, but find myself regretting not getting more Lemons. I am now in the process of setting up a new 125 gallon tank. When it's time to move the fish over the BFs are going back to the lfs and I am getting more Lemons. As far as the color goes, I had mine for about a year and they had some excellent color, far different than when you see them in a store.
Ahhh that's too bad you lost them all. What happened (if you don't mind me asking...if you do, don't answer)? The Black Phantoms don't really school do they? They are a shoalng species instead I believe and they are pretty, but lemon'y yellow is nearly unbeatable isn't it :)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts