The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying the Catalina 4x 54w, T5 HO 48" light fixture. The mounting "legs" have to be purchased seperately. My question is, do I need them? I have a glass canopy so I'm not really worried about melting, but does it need to be raised up to help with cooling circulation? Or, can I just put it on top, like my old fixture, and let the built in fans worry about cooling it?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Need is relative. Ventilation is good. Legs provide some clearance for maintenance too.

Best would be a tilt-up fixture. But for the cost of legs, I'd get them and keep heat issues away from the tank and the fixture. That will be cheaper in the long run.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You should be good without the legs if you will not be annoyed with the constant removal of your glass cover and the light itself. They will for sure always get in your way during maintenance as NJaquabarren pointed out. It may be cheaper to purchase the legs or if you have the option of hanging your lights either from the ceiling or use a light stand like the ADA stuff.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess if they're not too expensive it would be worth getting them. I cant hang the lights so this is the best option. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've heard that Catlina really works with you. I was going to ask for the 6500k bulbs and the blue LED attachment. Now I'm going to ask for the legs too. I hope they'll work out a good deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts