The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we're sharing recipes, I thought I'd go ahead and throw one of mine out there. I'm not much for cooking, but this is something I make pretty regularly. Once you try this, you'll never go back to the store-bought stuff. I guarantee that ;).

Ingredients
-3 cans of diced tomatoes (garden fresh would be better, but canned is fine)
-half a large white onion
-5 cloves of garlic
-2 jalapeno peppers
-1 sweet banana pepper
-half a large red bell pepper
-3-4 sprigs of cilantro
-ground cumin
-liquid smoke (optional, but gives it a smoky chipotle flavor)

Finely dice the tomatoes, onion, garlic, cilantro and peppers and mix together. Then add the cumin and liquid smoke (however much you want, it depends on your taste) and mix everything together. You can serve it right away, but it's even better if you let it sit overnight in the fridge.

The result:

You can substitute pretty much anything here for anything else you want. I've made this with habanero and cayenne peppers before, and that stuff will rock your world (or more specifically, your taste buds :biggrin:)

Give this stuff a whirl. Let me know what you think about it. Enjoy!

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
nice. I've been on a mexican kick lately since I can't find decent mexican food.

My recipe is similar to your except put in a squeeze of lime.

And dice in ripe avocados to make guacamole. Don't forget to put in salt to taste!

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Mexican roast Chicken with rice

- 1 chicken
- 1-2 tablespoon of crushed/ground cumin
- 1-2 tablespoon of freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 - 2 tablespoon of salt (don't be afraid to salt your chicken)
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- crush 4-5 cloves of garlic

rub all of the ingredients inside and out the chicken, inside the skin of the breast as well. Let marinade over night.

roast at 400F for the first 15 minutes and 375F till it's done. About an hour or 170F internal temp.

-----
Rice

- chopped onion
- chopped bell peppers
- chopped garlic
- chopped tomato
- oil, or fat from the roasted chicken
- 2 cups water or chicken stock
- 1 cup of long grain rice
- pinch of salt

heat the oil on medium/high and roast the rice till glossy in a high sauce pan. This is a lot like a Paella.

Toss in the onions, garlic, pepper. Cook till fragrant then throw in the tomatoes. Add water or stock. Don't forget any of the scrapings and juices from your roasted chicken. It goes in too! Add the salt.

Turn the fire down to simmer. Cover the pan. check back in 15 - 20 minutes.

Enjoy the food. You can dress the dish with fresh veggies, a squeeze of lime, cilantro, and sour cream or yogurt.

I'd take a picture of it but I ate it all.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mistergreen, that sounds amazing. I'm definitely going to have to try that soon.

Here's another super quick and easy recipe for you all. My dad makes this quite a bit.

Garlic Dip
It's really easy. Pulverize 6 cloves of garlic and mix in with one block of regular cream cheese, mix together well, and let sit overnight. Goes great with Ritz crackers or something similar. It is truly awesome, just make sure that you won't be around any other people for a while after eating this stuff ;).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts