The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so a week ago, power went out and it blasted out my solenoid, i got a new solenoid and all but it made me realize i should probably get a surge protector, i went to the store to look at them and all of them say not recommended for use with aquariums, i assume because they could get wet. So, should i just get one of those anyways or what? thanks

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I wouldn't plug a solenoid into a surge protector. I'm willing to bet that when the solenoid fires, it will send a nice spike through the surge protector. I don't think that little resistor and capacitor will do much to filter that out. A good surge protector will cost as much as the solenoid. I would plug the solenoid into GFCI outlet though. Just in case the solenoid decides to melt and short out. :biggrin:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Some people plug Laser Printers into surge protectors to, even though you shouldn't :biggrin:
Thats because you usually want to plug a laser printer into a different circuit than the computers, because of the large power draw. But I've plugged laser printers into cheap 15amp suppressors, and they work fine.

@Kid Creole are we talking about a UPS or Line conditioner, because decent APC UPS are around $50, and they have monetary guarantees.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Thats because you usually want to plug a laser printer into a different circuit than the computers, because of the large power draw. But I've plugged laser printers into cheap 15amp suppressors, and they work fine.

@Kid Creole are we talking about a UPS or Line conditioner, because decent APC UPS are around $50, and they have monetary guarantees.
A $50 APC UPS may have a guarantee, but it has no surge protection.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Most solenoids run at 160va and 4-6w so any APC UPS above the 350va limit should work and doesn't cost an arm-and-a-leg and yes it does have surge protection. Go to a SAM's or Costco or even Newegg and pickup a 500va APC UPS for about $100 to $130 that should be overkill for what your trying to do.

A 350va to 450va would probably work and cost about $70 to $90 but it depends on more data than I can get (your house wiring, breaker box surge protection, etc).

- Brad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts