The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank have finally started to take off. I'm starting to get VERY light pearling and I've noticed that my Ambulia is growing vertically very quick, but very leggy; probably an inch to an inch and a half of stem between in leaf section. Plants look otherwise healthy. Is this type of growth cause for any concern?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
With "ambulia", the faster it grows the leggier it gets. Lower (yet moderate) light levels will encourage denser, shorter internodes IME.

This is assuming you are talking about Limnophila sessiflora. No experience on L. aquatica, also known ambulia.

With over 1.5" inches of growth per day, I can see why internodes can be so long.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should also note that the tops of each ambulia stem is taking on a red hue. :D I have roughly 240W over a 75 gal. I'm at 30ppm CO2 and dosing ferts. Should I ramp up my lighting some more?

·
Registered
148 Posts
That should be enough light, but what kind of reflectors are on the lights? As eklikewhoa said: light not penetrating down to your plants. if your reflactors are white you may switch to the "mirror" finish type for better penetration.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I'm telling you that you have plenty of light. The leggy growth is from providing more light than it needs. Still don't believe me?

Taken from plantfinder on APC:

"Lower lighting (around 2 watts per gallon) and CO2 addition will produce more attractive and compact growth"

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm with you mrbelvedere. It's only my ambulia that's leggy. All of my foreground and shorter plants are growing well and as expected. I think my light penetration is ok.

P.S. - I'm using AHSUpply reflectors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts