The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so I want to buy some Elatine hydropiper (had some, it died, so I'm trying it again) and to make a long story short, I found a nice website from Poland that sells it cheap and ships worldwide. I won't post the url of the site because vender reviews are forbidden and that's not the purpose of this thread, but it does seem like a nice website. (if you want it, pm me.)

They don't say anything on legality and their translation from Polish to English is a little confusing at times. However, the site looks very professional- I don't question their merit or veracity. They also offer 4-7 day shipping for $4 worldwide, which is... interesting.

The thing is... what's my liability on importing a native species of plant (hydropiper is native to northern NY) or would they consider it non-native? Is the blame placed on the shipper? Would they ever check/care about such a thing? Anyone done this before?

I'd like to order some and try again. But is it worth it?

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Hi Adam,

Plants imported into the United States require a phytosanitary certificate, if one does not accompany the shipment then the importer (you) may have a visit by the USDA, US Customs Service, or other US Govt agency.

What's really fun is if you have it shipped to your office, then they show up there to question you!

Bottom line, it would probably be cheaper and less hassle to post a WTB on TPT and have a little patience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.